Back to top
Face value. This pretty face was her ticket to the top.
6. She's pressured to stop the clock. Barretto is now 40. But, as with most beautiful women, the public expects her to look young for many more years. Let's admit it—Filipinos often have an unrealistic standard when it comes to beauty. Based on the article "Mirror, Mirror: A summary of research findings on body image," beautiful people often think that their identity depends on how they look. Thus, it's not surprising if Barretto will do whatever she can to keep looking great. She's a fitness buff and has been known to subscribe to a macrobiotic diet. In fact, her entourage reportedly brings her cooking paraphernalia and packed food to her photo shoots and tapings.
7. She's a Metal Pig. Born in 1970, Barretto is a Metal Pig. According to Tuvy.com, people like her are usually very attractive to the opposite sex. They also enjoy "great abundance, in health, career, friendship, love, and finance." They're also very generous to the people they love. In an episode of Private Conversations, a show hosted by Boy Abunda, Barretto's sisters confirmed that she was lavish with her presents, among other things.
Glamorama. The public (or most people, anyway) thinks that Gretchen Barretto is the epitome of glamour.
8. She's a "Performer." Among personality types documented in the Myers Briggs personality test, Barretto would probably be classified as a "Performer." Performers "have a very well-developed appreciation for aesthetic beauty, and an excellent sense of space and function" and "if they have the means, they're likely to have to have many beautiful possessions, and an artfully furnished home." Performers like being the center of attentions and take great pleasure in the finer things in life, such as good food and good wine. Though she may not list all her nifty possessions, the public knows that Barretto lives well. She's probably gotten hold of very high-end brand--from shoes to cars.
Hot mama. Gretchen Barretto's teenage daughter Dominique once called her mom "the Paris Hilton of the Philippines."
9. She's one fierce mama. Among the mothering styles described in Stephan B. Poulter's The Mother Factor, Barretto's seems to fall under the "Best Friend Mothering Style." Though it's been said that her daughter did not inherit her drop-dead gorgeous beauty, Barretto has to be commended for not emphasizing this difference. Instead, she's always highlighting how her daughter is better than she is. In an interview with the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Barretto said, "I don't want [Dominique] to be just Tony Boy Cojuangco's daughter. She can be better than him. Or not just 'anak ni Gretchen.' I want her to be Dominique Barretto Cojuangco, the best of the Barrettos and the best of the Cojuangcos."
Walkout woes. Gretchen Barretto won't hesitate to storm out when she's forced to do something she doesn't like.
10. She's unpredictable. She's not a singer--but Barretto has two CDs where she covers her favorite songs: Unexpected and Complicated. Barretto also isn't afraid of walking out on people if she feels she's being forced into a corner. She has the gumption to say, "I don't give a damn." It's hard to guess what she'll do next. That's what makes her so interesting.
Art by Warren Espejo, photo from PEP.