Back to top
Dubbed the "Pied Piper of Manila," "the original culture vulture," and "Manila's biggest fan, John Charles P. Celdran, better known as Carlos Celdran, is arguably one of Manila's best ambassadors. Though he's more popularly known as an out-of-the-box Manila tour guide, Celdran is also an artist and a very influential netizen. From the start, he has been a staunch advocate of the Reproductive Health Bill. On September 30, 2010, Celdran was arrested and detained for protesting at the Manila Cathedral. As the Philippine Online Chronicles reported, "Dressed as national hero Jose Rizal, Celdran approached the altar and held up a sign that read 'Damaso' in protest of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines' stand on the controversial reproductive health (RH) bill, which is still pending in Congress. Celdran also shouted at the bishops, 'Stop getting involved in politics.'" Needless to say, Celdran's move ruffled some holy feathers and prompted heated debates. SPOT.ph plays pop profiler to figure out why Celdran rocks (the boat).
Carlos Celdran talks about spending 24 hours in jail--and what made him do what he did.
1. He is a Scorpio. Born on November 1o, Celdran is a Scorpion. According to PsychicGuild.com, he is expected to be "intense, dramatic, and wise beyond their years." Moreover, Scorpions often "march to a different beat." In a country where speaking one's mind is not the norm and most people have parochial perpectives, Celdran certainly seems out of place.
2. He's liberal. It goes without saying that Celdran has very liberal outlook in politics and life in general. He says as much in his Facebook profile, where he tags himself as a "Lapsed Cafeteria Catholic," with "Left of Bourgeoise" political views.
3. He's an information junkie. Celdran loves to know anything and everything--from profound to profane information. In fact, in "On the Spot: Carlos Celdran," he refers to scandalous shenanigans in the lobby of a popular hotel. Information junkies like Celdran are people who get restless when their minds are not stimulated.
Carlos Celdran makes history hot.
4. His forehead is wide and distinctive. According to the Feng Shui Times, the forehead represents "fame and fire" and that "we can be assured that if the forehead is auspicious recognition will come our way." Despite not having his face on billboards, Celdran is popular. Case in point: 4,980 people are connected to him on Facebook and he has 17,309 Twitter followers.
5. He's not a whiner. In an interview on ANC's Headstart, Celdran said that he only spend 24 hours in jail and that it was "practically nothing." While it would have been easy for him to get hysterical, he just laughed off his experience and took it like a man.