The SPOT.ph Guide to Virgin Labfest 2017
The festival moves to a bigger theater!
(SPOT.ph) Now on its 13th year, the Virgin Labfest has been staging a number of exciting and provocative one-act plays from playwrights both young and old within the walls of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. These pieces are dubbed as "untried, untested, unstaged" so expect all kinds of themes, characters from all walks of life, and plot twists you wouldn’t even think are possible during the three-week run from June 28 to July 16.
As in the previous years, the main features of the Virgin Labfest (VLF) are complemented with staged readings and a Fellowship program for budding writers. The 2017 installment is also made much more special because the festival is moving from the small Tanghalang Huseng Batute to the bigger and better venue of Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino. So map out your schedule and make sure that you get to see what VLF 2017 has to offer.
Schedule for Virgin Labfest 2017
SET A (Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino):
June 28, July 7/12/16, 3 p.m.
June 28, July 6/11/15, 8 p.m.
- Oggie Arcenas' Loveteam, directed by Michael Williams
- Eljay Castro Deldoc's Pilipinas Kong Mahal with all the Overcoat, directed by Roobak Valle
- Rick Patriarca's Birdcage, directed by Ian Segarra
SET B (Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino):
June 29, July 2/8/13, 3 p.m.
June 29, July 7/12/16, 8 p.m.
- Ryan Machado's Ang Mga Puyong, directed by Ricardo Magno)
- Maynard Manansala and U Eliserio's Hindi Ako si Darna, directed by Andoy Ranay
- Joshua Lim So's Boses ng Masa, directed by Guelan Varela-Luarca
SET C (Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino):
June 30, July 5/9/14, 3 p.m.
June 30, July 2/8/14, 8 p.m.
- Layeta C. Bucoy's Si Dr. Dolly Dalisay at ang mga Ladybugs, directed by Jonathan Tadioan)
- Sari Saysay's Ang Bata sa Bus Stop, directed by Topper Fabregas
- Carlo Vergara's Dear and Unhappy, directed by Ricky Villabona
SET D (Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino):
July 1/6/11/15, 3 p.m.
July 1/5/9/14, 8 p.m.
- Adrian Ho's Sincerity Biker’s Club, directed by Jenny Jamora
- Dingdong Novenario's Nothing but Dreams, directed by Carlos Siguion-Reyna
- Eliza Victoria's Ang Bahay sa Gitna ng Kawalan, directed by George de Jesus
SET E/REVISITED (Tanghalang Huseng Batute):
July 1/2/8/9/15/16, 3 p.m.
June 30, July 1/7/8/14/15, 8 p.m.
- Alexandra May Cardoso's Ang Sugilanon ng Kabiguan ni Epefania, directed by Charles Yee
- Dominique La Victoria's Ang Bata sa Drum, directed by Dudz Teraña
- Carlo Vergara's Mula sa Kulimliman, directed by Hazel Gutierrez
STAGED READINGS (Tanghalang Amado Hernandez):
July 7, 6 p.m.
- Jaime Bautista's Point and Click, directed by Mara Marasigan
- Nicko de Guzman's Vertigo, directed by Yong Tapang
- Fatrick Tabada's Walang Forever Virus, directed by Elmer Rufo
July 14, 6 p.m.
- Rolin Migyuel Cadallo Obina's Ang Pag-uulyanin ni Olivia Mendoza, directed by Emmanuel dela Cruz
- Kevin Tabora's Andiyan Lang, directed by Dennis Marasigan
- Featured Works: P400 per set
- Festival Pass (five sets): P1,600
- Staged Readings: Free of charge
- Tickets and festival passes are available at the CCP Box Office. Single tickets can also be purchased online through Ticketworld.
The Virgin Labfest 2017 runs from June 28 to July 16 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines, Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City. For more information, visit the Virgin Labfest on Facebook.