Baguio residents restore city's first-ever cinema
They need old banig!
(SPOT.ph) Baguio City was America's only hill station in the 1900s so it's pretty obvious that the City of Pines reflected the vibe of a typical American town. This included the rise of movie houses pre-World War II.
One of the first cinemas in the area was the Garden Theater, established by a Canadian named Hubert Phelps Whitmarsh. Little is known about it except that the theater existed roughly between 1907 and 1909 and was later converted into the owner's home. Unfortunately, this was razed to the ground after the air strike that pummeled Baguio in early 1945.
A group of local artists are now trying to revive the open-air cinema (or at least what's left of it) by converting the space into a shared performance venue and artist studio. Donations of old but still usable mat, rug, banig, and throw pillows are most welcome. The restored space's first arts event will be held in the second week of January 2017.
For more information, visit Garden Theater, Baguio City on Facebook.