Gloria Diaz won’t say sorry to Cebuanos, says they should apologize to her
Gloria Diaz says she will not apologize to Cebuanos for her comment that some of them have misinterpreted to be an insult to their English-speaking ability, reports TV Patrol World. Declared a persona non grata (personally unacceptable) and banned in Cebu through a reported resolution, Diaz said it is the Cebuanos who should say sorry to her.
In reaction to the now famous "major major" answer Venus Raj gave during the Question and Answer portion of the Miss Universe pageant, Diaz was quoted last week as saying, "When you think about (it), a Cebuana can hardly speak English and, of course, Tagalog. Maybe she should answer in Bisaya." This comment has reportedly sparked outrage among Cebuanos; Cebu City Rep. Rachel Del Mar even called on Diaz to "issue a sincere public apology to the Cebuano people" in her privilege speech on August 31, according to Sun.Star.
In an interview with TV Patrol World aired on September 2, Diaz explained, "This is what I said: (Beauty contestants) should have the right to answer (pageant questions) in whatever language they want. If they are Cebuanos, they can say it in Cebuano. I did not say that they don’t speak English."
TV Patrol World also reports that Sen. Serge Osmeña, who hails from Cebu, defended the 1969 Miss Universe. "Kawawa naman si Gloria. I’m a thousand percent sure she was misunderstood... It’s impossible for Gloria to downgrade Cebuano. Alam mo kung bakit? Boyfriend niya Cebuano, 12 years na, my nephew."
("I feel sorry for Gloria. I’m a thousand percent sure she was misunderstood... It’s impossible for Gloria to downgrade Cebuanos. You know why? Her boyfriend of 12 years, who is my nephew, is a Cebuano.")
Osmeña added that the reported resolution, which was filed by the Vice Mayors League of Cebu, is an overreaction.
Saksi video: Cebu local government executives want Gloria Diaz declared "persona non grata"