Terrorism expert says PH government should take travel warnings seriously, DOT says advisories won’t affect tourism
International terrorism expert Rohan Gunaratna told ANC that the travel warnings against Philippines should "be taken seriously" by the government. "If there (are intelligence reports on) terrorist attacks, it is incumbent on the government to share that information with the public... The focus is on pre-emption and prevention."
He said the government should not blame the United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Canada and Australia for releasing the advisories, even if it is wrong to single out the Philippines. "These governments have worked closely with the Philippines in the fight against terrorism. They issued the warnings because they have specific information," said Gunaratna, the management staff head of the International Centre for Political Violence and Terrorism Research in Singapore.
According to ABS-CBNNews.com, Malacañang is still looking into the alleged terror threats. President Noynoy Aquino has previously said he "believes (the travel warnings have) no adequate basis" and are likely based on "raw" data.
Citing the Department of Tourism, ABS-CBNNews.com reports that the warnings "won’t have a huge effect on the tourism industry" because the five countries only issued advisories, not travel bans.
Meanwhile, TV Patrol World reports that former U.S. President Bill Clinton will push through with his speaking engagement at the Manila Hotel on November 10.
For more on this story, log on to ABS-CBNNews.com.