DOJ recommends filing frustrated murder raps against Bar blast suspect
GMA News report
(SPOT.ph) The Department of Justice (DOJ) has recommended filing multiple frustrated murder charges against the suspect in last year’s Bar exam blast that left over 40 people injured, reports GMA News Online.
In a resolution released on Wednesday, the DOJ said the suspect Anthony Leal Nepomuceno failed to prove that he did not throw the grenade which caused the explosion in front of the De La Salle University in Manila. Finding probable cause to file charges against him, the DOJ said he presented "weak evidence" to show he was not in the crime scene at the time of the blast, reports GMA News Online.
Saying Nepomuceno "mainly relied on denial and alibi," the DOJ said the sworn affidavits presented by the suspect were "self serving" because they came from his family, friends and fraternity brothers, reports GMA News Online.
The DOJ also said four eyewitnesses identified Nepomuceno as the person who lobbed the grenade. GMA News Online quoted the resolution: "The interconnection between the statements given by the witnesses is enough to engender a well-founded belief that the person who lobbed the hand grenade, which exploded that day, is the respondent (Nepomuceno)."
The department also recommended charging Nepomuceno with illegal possession of explosive charges, reports GMA News Online. The DOJ resolution comes after the complaint filed by 10 of the injured law students in the blast including Raissa Laurel of Sebastian College, who lost both legs due to the explosion.
For more on this story, log on to GMA News Online.