Hubert Webb wants P180k for "unlawful conviction"

(SPOT.ph) Acquitted murder suspect Hubert Webb went to the Department of Justice's Board of Claims yesterday, June 14, to seek a P180,000 compensation for his "unlawful conviction" for the June 1991 massacre of Estrellita, Carmela, and Jennifer Vizconde, reports GMA News. His lawyer, Joaquin Miguel Hizon, said that Webb is entitled to P1,000 for every month he spent in jail.

"Once you are convicted and subsequently acquitted, you are entitled to compensation from the government," said Hizon. Webb, along with six other co-accused, was aquitted in the Supreme Court last December. The decision was based on the prosecution’s incapacity to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the suspects were guilty.

The Vizconde massacre is currently being reinvestigated to determine the real perpetrators. According to the report, Task Force Vizconde, led by the Department of Justice and the Department of Interior and Local Government, has until the end of the month to identify the suspects and file charges. The group is looking into at least three sets of suspects, including Webb. The report also said that according to Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, the Supreme Court’s acquittal does not necessarily mean Webb and his companions are innocent.

So far, the task force has succeeded in authenticating the US passport Webb allegedly used in 1991. Webb maintains that he was in the United States during the massacre, and yesterday said that the US embassy denied his visa application on Monday for overstaying in the US.



For more on this story, log on to GMA News.

Tell us your #feels!

Win
Yum
LOL
WTF
0
Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about

Comments

Latest Stories

Load More Stories

SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates right in your inbox!