Palace ignores navy colonel’s call for P-Noy’s ousting
(SPOT.ph) President Noynoy Aquino remains undaunted by a video of retired navy colonel Generoso Mariano calling for his ouster, reports the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte deemed Mariano's "appeal" as an isolated case.
In his 95-second video dated July 3, 2011, Mariano said: "It is the duty, it is the right of every Filipino including soldiers to replace the government. I repeat, replace the government." Two days before his retirement last Sunday, July 17, Mariano was removed as deputy chief of the Naval Reserve Command and was investigated for possible sedition and unbecoming conduct. The video circulated all over social media sites last Saturday.
"We are not alarmed. The (armed forces) leadership had said that these are only his own sentiments and not the sentiments of the others," In an ABS-CBN report, Valte was quoted saying, "The AFP leadership already said there are no others who share his views, calls...We are confident that our soldiers are here to uphold the Constitution, to secure the country, not to engage in politics."
Valte also pointed out that former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and her supporters were backing Mariano. "(Arroyo's group is) mouthing the same criticisms, accusations," she said, adding that she based her claim on what Arroyo's allies are saying. "Pakinggan niyo na lang (sila) (Just listen to what they’re saying)." Last month, House Minority Leader Edcel Lagman, together with other members of the Minority, published a statement criticizing Aquino's leadership.
Colonel Generoso Mariano’s video