Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim resigns due to "personal reasons"
(SPOT.ph) Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim announced his resignation earlier today, August 12, at a news briefing in Malacañang, reports the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Lim, who revealed that he has spent the past 56 weekends out of town, cited "personal reasons" as the basis for his resignation. "It took its toll," he said in an Interaksyon report.
In a press statement, Lim said: "My reason for resigning is personal. I would like to spend more time with my family. My responsibilities require a great deal of travel and time away from my loved ones," adding that he was satisfied that he has put up a strong foundation for tourism in the country during his tenure. According to Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda in the Interaksyon report, foreign tourist arrivals increased to 3.7 million from July 2010 to July 2011, up by almost half a million compared to last year. Domestic tourism is also up with 28 million travelers during the first half of the year.
The Department of Tourism also just released the first of three videos promoting domestic travel yesterday.
Watch GMA News’ report on Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim’s resignation