P25 million offered to Maguindanao massacre victims’ kin to drop case

Interaksyon.com reports that the families of the 32 media workers who lost their lives in the November 23, 2009 Ampatuan massacre said they had been offered "up to P25 million each to withdraw their complaints against the suspects."

Interaksyon.com reports that the families of the 32 media workers who lost their lives in the November 23, 2009 Ampatuan massacre said they had been offered "up to P25 million each to withdraw their complaints against the suspects."

 

At a meeting to discuss the second anniversary of the massacre, Grace Morales-who lost her husband Rossell, and sister, Marites Cablitas, both of News Focus in General Santos City-said the offer was made indirectly by "emissaries" who approached the victims’ kin "only last month."

 

Morales  said that while many of the media victims’ families continue to face economic difficulties since they had lost their breadwinners, none of them has considered accepting what she acknowledged as "a huge amount." She said, "Nothing they can offer can repay the lives they stole from us."

 

Morales further revealed said the media victims’ families have been approached again and again with increasingly larger offers since the mass murder, for which key members of the Ampatuan clan are accused of planning and carrying out. The P25-million offer, she said, "has been the largest offer so far."

 

Morales also disclosed that the emissaries (whom she declined to name because it might endanger those who had been approached) were asking for a P5 million "commission."

 

For more on this story, log on to Interaksyon.com.

Tell us your #feels!

Win
Yum
LOL
WTF
0
Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about

Comments

Latest Stories

Load More Stories

SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates right in your inbox!