Former NBI Director Atty. Magtanggol Gatdula in a public service ad against piracy.
Interaskyon.com reports that National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Atty. Magtanggol Gatdula will be removed from his post. This was what Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Leila de Lima told reporters on Thursday, January 19, in an interview during the 59th anniversary of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).
The report noted: "Gatdula was sacked in connection with the alleged kidnap and extortion of a 32-year-old Japanese woman, Noriyo Ohara, in October 2011. A DOJ panel headed by Undersecretary Francisco Baraan III recommended the filing of charges against Gatdula and several others who were implicated in the alleged kidnapping and extortion of Ohara."
The report likewise noted that when Ohara was kidnapped last year, the kidnappers had demanded a ransom of P15 million. Ohara’s family ended up paying P6 million.
The report added that "aside from Gatdula, the DOJ also recommended charges be filed against NBI assistant director Medardo de Lemos, deputy director Rickson Chiong, security and management division head Mario Garcia and his executive officer Jose Cabillan." De Lima revealed that Garcia and Cabillan had also been relieved of their duties.
The report further disclosed that De Lima said Gatdula, his staff, and other NBI agents were complicit in "a crimnal act under the guise of a rescue operation and also an arrest." She also said, "I can confirm that Director Magtanggol Gatdula will be replaced but as to his replacement it’s still being studied by the president."
As off press time, Gatdula has not yet issued a formal statement to respond to the charges against him.
For more on this story, log on to Interaskyon.com.