GMA News Online reports that on Sunday evening, May 5, "an explosion briefly caused panic at the SM Megamall in Mandaluyong City, with at least one reported hurt in a stampede before shoppers were able to calm down after learning the sounds were not gunshots."
The report noted: "SM Supermalls, in a tweet posted at 8:19 p.m that day via its Twitter account, said the cause was a short-circuiting siomai steamer at the SM Food Court." The tweet explained: "Around 7:25 p.m., a siomai steamer at SM Food Court in SM Megamall short-circuited, caused people to file out. All operations are back to normal."
The report likewise added: "SM spokesperson Ian Mathay told GMA News Online over the telephone that smoke from the malfunctioning steamer, or warmer, belonging to the Paotsin outlet in the food court caused people to panic. Mathay then said mall operations returned to normal after the commotion."
For more on this story, log on to GMA News Online.