PH on heightened alert after Cagayan de Oro bomb blast
An explosion of unknown origin rocks one of Mindanao’s most developed cities.
Agence France-Presse (AFP), via ABS-CBNNews.com, reports that the Philippines "ordered troops and police on heightened alert" on Sunday, July 28, in the wake of a blast that initially killed six people and injured 48 others in Cagayan de Oro. The July 26 incident happened near Kyla’s Bistro at Rosario Arcade, which is located within the city’s Limketkai Mall Complex. The culprits are still unknown and the investigation is ongoing.
The AFP report quoted Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Mar Roxas, who said investigators were reconstructing the bomb site to gather more clues. "We are doing everything (to determine the suspects). We have placed the police in Mindanao, the intelligence community and the army on heightened alert to prevent a similar attack," Roxas said in his DZBB radio interview.
An InterAksyon.com report identified the deceased as the following: Provincial Board member Rolden Lagbas, Dr. Erwin Malanay, a product manager of Boehringer Ingelheim Philippines, Anthony Cañete, 35, Ryan Palapac, 34, Emmanuel Palapac, 34, and Antonio Paredez, 44, all representatives of drug firms." The same report noted that last week "more than a thousand members of the Philippine College of Chest Physicians and the Philippine Society of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, gathered in Cagayan de Oro for their conventions." As of Monday, July 29, reports said that the death toll has risen to eight.