Quotes of the Week: VP Binay exudes confidence, Senator Cayetano gets a death threat + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) The Vice President celebrated his birthday this week and it was still a happy one. Despite dominating the news for several consecutive weeks because of corruption allegations, Vice President Jejomar Binay remains absolutely chipper-confident that he can sail through this rough weather like a pro.
Catch up on what happened this week in five minutes through quotes!
1. "Even at my lowest, I am still in the lead." - Vice President Jejomar Binay, on being number one.
In your face, haters.
2. "Ang sa aking lang po, nang tinawagan ako ng Pangulo, ang sinabi lang niya ay ipinaabot ko yung hinhiling ni [Vice President] Binay na itigil na yung imbestigasyon sa Senado. Ang sagot ko naman ay wala po akong kapangyarihan na pigilin ang imbestigasyon. Nasa committee chair po iyan, kay Senator Pimentel at sa mga kasamahan niya sa komite." - Senator Franklin Drilon, on President Aquino playing the messenger for Vice President Jejomar Binay.
Where is the smell of fish coming from?
3. "Kapag naging presidente [si Vice President Binay] sa 2016, eh baka ipakulong ako o ipapatay [niya] ako. Kaya hindi madali na trabaho ito." - Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, on Vice President Binay.
Is that "if" he becomes president...or "when" he becomes president?
4. "The Vice President realized that engaging a debate with Senator Trillanes is a disservice to the millions who still have to recover from the Yolanda tragedy. Now is not the time for talk but for action. The Vice President is prioritizing the country over self, recovery over bickering, the people over himself." - Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla, on why Vice President Jejomar Binay is backing out of the November 27 debate with Senator Trillanes.
That’s not what the Vice President said, but sure. We’ll take anything coated in sugar.
5. "Pakisabi kay Senator Alan, isang bala lang siya ’pag ’di siya nanahimik." - an anonymous caller, to Senator Alan Peter Cayetano.
Maybe he was just talking about a VHS tape or a cartridge for the SNES console? "Go watch a movie and shut up," perhaps?
6. "I’m not accusing the mayor of corruption. I’m not accusing him of incompetence. What I’m saying is and I appeal to all the local government executives, not just to Mayor Romualdez, ang sabi ko: ’Let’s set our priorities right. Kung pwedeng unahin na muna natin itong mga survivors, huwag na muna tayong makialam sa mga rallies." - Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery Panfilo Lacson, on the situation in Eastern Visayas.
The entire world sent help, guys. They want us to be okay. Let’s be okay. Okay?
7. "I would try anything I think except comedy or romantic comedy. Those are very tough genres to work in. They rely on [a] unanimity of audience response. You screen a comedy for people, and if they don't laugh, you've got to figure out a way to make them laugh. There's no hiding behind the art of the film. " - Director Christopher Nolan, on his plans after Interstellar.
Hmm. This sounds like an admission of something. We can’t quite put a finger on it.
8. "I'm not very good on phones or technology. I [can’t] really keep up with emails, so the idea of Twitter is so unthinkable to me. I don't really understand what it is, it's this weird enigma that people talk about. And it's fine, I respect that, but no, I will never get [on] Twitter." - Actress Jennifer Lawrence, on staying out of social media.
But...but...what about passive-aggressive thoughts, JLaw? Where do we post those if not Twitter?
9. "I have not set a date or determined an age when I will retire. As long as I can keep fighting at the level I expect from myself I will continue my boxing career." - Fighting Congressman Manny Pacquiao, on his retirement plans.
Is #YOLO still a thing?
10. "I like that I will leave a 10-film filmography, and so I've got two more to go after this. It's not etched in stone, but that is the plan. If I get to the 10th, do a good job and don't screw it up, well that sounds like a good way to end the old career." - Director Quentin Tarentino, on his retirement plans.
We agree. We like the number 10, too.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.