The Commission on Elections said Tuesday a petition to stop Bongbong Marcos' candidacy for president remained unresolved, clarifying its earlier statement that it had been decided in favor of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos' son.
Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez corrected his earlier statement that the petition to cancel Marcos Jr.'s certificate of candidacy filed by Tiburcio Marcos had been denied. The poll body's second division is still hearing the case, he said.
"So clearly, an error was made saying that it was already disposed of because it is with the division right now," he said. "Hopefully we can have more information regarding this particular case very soon."
Tiburcio Marcos also filed his candidacy for president in the 2022 elections, but he was not included in the tentative list of candidates released by the Comelec. He alleged that the real son of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos had died and the one gunning for Malacañang is an impostor.
Marcos Jr. had debunked the rumor as early as 2019. "Hindi ko nga malaman paano naumpisahan yang storya na iyan. Hindi na raw ako ang tunay na Bongbong, ako na raw yung kapalit," he said in a vlog.
Last week, the Comelec Second Division junked the first petition to cancel Marcos Jr.'s certificate of candidacy filed by representatives of political detainees, human rights and medical organizations. A petition urging the Comelec to declare Marcos Jr. a nuisance candidate was also dismissed.
Apart from these cases, Marcos is facing five other petitions seeking to block his candidacy for president in the 2022 elections.
Bongbong Marcos Not a Degree Graduate of Oxford University: Filipino Alumni
Those Marcos Videos on TikTok are Rooted in Decades of Misinformation