Quotes of the Week: MVP on being poor, the Binays on Trillanes + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) This week, Janet Lim-Napoles was sentenced to life in prison...but not for scamming you. The "businesswoman" was convicted of serious illegal detention and while that's good news, it's not quite a cause for celebration (unless you're Benhur Luy). Because now, the Mamasapano hearing is stuck on Moro Islamic Liberation Front Chief Negotiator Mohagher Iqbal's real name and the Makati City Hall Building investigation has circled back to the actual City Hall, where Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay still works—much to his his critics' chagrin.
Oh, and the BIR also rolled out this amazing new online system. It runs best on Internet Explorer and Netscape.
1. "It's good to be poor—so long as it's not forever." — Businessman Manny V. Pangilinan, on being poor.
Wow. Such insight.
2. "The fame [went] to my head, I [gambled] and [drank] and there were a lot of girls—womanizing, stuff like that. My life before, [I was] always fighting with my wife and we almost [broke] up." — Boxer Manny Pacquiao, on the things he regrets.
It's officially bukingan week because...
3. "Ang usapan kasi namin, sabihin mo na sa akin derecho kaysa malalaman ko sa iba." — Actress and Batangas Governor Vilma Santos, on Senator Ralph Recto's infidelity.
No wonder there's an excessive amount of mistress stories in this country.
4. "Pumunta na lang siguro sila sa Internet café. Matagal na po namin kayong ini-inform. Tingin ko din naman 'yung mga may Mac sa bahay, may Windows din sila." — BIR Commissioner Kim Henares, on people who couldn't figure out how to make their online system work for their computers at home.
Please, stop smothering us with your compassion. All the help you've been giving us is just overwhelming.
5. "The damaging and ruinous claims spewed out by respondent Trillanes are mere concoctions and fabrications with no other purpose than to malign, discredit, ruin my reputation and besmirch my good name as well as that of my family." — Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay, on Senator Trillanes' accusations of bribery.
Well, well, well. Someone has access to a thesaurus.
6. "Gawin na nila ang kanilang gustong gawin. Basta hahabulin ko sila hanggang makulong sila. Mga kurakot." — Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, on the libel case filed against him by Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay.
Sige nga, hawakan mo sa tenga. (Seriously though, maybe this might inspire you to revisit this country's libel laws.)
7. "The senator should resign his seat. Frankly, he is a big embarrassment to the Senate." — Makati City Representative Abigail Binay, on Senator Trillanes' accusations that her brother bribed Court of Appeals justices.
Frankly, the Senate has a surplus of embarrassments.
8. "He's gonna be a president." — Boxing promoter Bob Arum, on Manny Pacquiao's future.
How present will he be as president?
9. "If people are imposed penalties or fees for having more than four pets [it] may increase the incidence of pet abandonments." — Actress Heart Evangelista, on Quezon City Ordinance 2386.
We don't always agree with you, Love. But this is spot on.
10. "Hindi naman po artista yung anak ko." — Actress Marian Rivera, on the privacy of her unborn child.
Hindi pa artista.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.