Quotes of the Week: Kris is proud, Mary Jane Veloso's lawyer is apprehensive + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) The big fight is coming up—not just for Manny Pacquiao, but also the country. The biggest news of the week was Mary Jane Veloso's temporary reprieve, which delighted most and angered others. A handful of militant groups, though pleased with Indonesia's decision, accused the Palace and the President of credit-grabbing. Just when you thought the country was working towards one goal, it all turned sour just hours after a "miracle" happened.
In any case, enjoy the holidays—and the best quotes of the week!
1. "I know I’m going to win the fight in the ring." — Manny Pacquiao, on his fight against Floyd Mayweather.
2. "I am proud of my brother. I am proud of my president." — Kris Aquino, on her brother's role in the #SaveMaryJane campaign.
One down, 40 to go. Wait, let's phrase that as "One down, 40 more lives that shouldn't go without a fair trial."
3. "Kung gusto ng Diyos na buhayin ako, bubuhayin ako." — Mary Jane Veloso, hours before she was set to be executed (and subsequently given a temporary reprieve).
There's a Pinoy saying that starts with, "Nasa Diyos ang awa." Time for the government to be on a roll and keep acting!
4. "Let us not forget that, in order for them to get a fair trial and due process, we must also provide them with ample legal assistance." — Senator Nancy Binay, on Mary Jane Veloso's case.
Hello, DFA? Are you there? Yoo-hoo!
5. "There's misrepresentation, negligence on the part of our officials." — Lawyer Edre Olalia, on Mary Jane Veloso's case.
Call again in about two days. The people are still drunk on prayer power.
6. "This is the power of prayer at work. Huwag po natin itigil ang pagdarasal para kay Mary Jane. Dagdagan pa po natin ang ating panalangin na maisalba natin siya sa kamatayan." — Vice President Jejomar Binay, on the temporary reprieve.
See what we mean? (Mr. Vice President, this may interest you: Indonesia's executions draw worldwide condemnation.) Action, man. We want to get used to this thing where the government works.
7. "Una, ituloy ang pagsulong ng legal na proseso hanggang ma-commute o pardon si Mary Jane. Pangalawa, pangunahan at isulong ng ating bansa sa international community ang pag-alis na ng death penalty bilang kaparusahan sa anumang krimen." — Senator Francis "Chiz" Escudero, on things the government should actually do.
Do it. Do it. Do it.
8. "Mahalaga ang buhay. Hindi tayo hihinto." — President Benigno Aquino III, to his staff when he was trying to save Mary Jane Veloso's life.
Let's give people more reason to stay here, at home, with their families.
9. "My breasts have a career. I'm just tagging along." — Pamela Anderson, on her fame or the fame of her...appendages?
Can't argue with that.
10. "Dear taga-Maynila, sana po ay maintindihan ninyo ang aming kalagayan. Nakakatakot po. Gusto ko na pong bumalik sa bahay ko." — Bai Rohaniza Sumndad-Usman, on the Bangsamoro Basic Law.
Consider a life that's markedly different from yours.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.