Quotes of the Week: Senator Marcos talks about irony, VP Binay criticizes a government he's part of + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) The UNA Party Launch was held this week and Vice President Binay is pulling out all the stops and firing shots against the government. Which, in case we've all forgotten, is something he's part of. In other news, PBB is back...and so is all the controversy! The kissing and hugging are not sitting well with MTRCB. Tsk, tsk.
Elsewhere, hearts broke when Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner announced their impending divorce...and also, Greece is having strange money problems. It's all very what the f— and Senator Bongbong Marcos receiving an award for being the "great defender" of the Constitution is the cherry on top.
1. "The greater irony is that it is Ferdinand Marcos Jr. that has become the 'great defender' of the Cory Constitution!" — Senator Bongbong Marcos, on receiving an award from the Philippine Constitution Association.
The Senator goes on to say, "I can almost hear my father looking down upon these proceedings, scratching his head and asking: How did that happen?" (The joke here is that he's so sure his father is not looking up at the proceedings.)
2. "Sa totoo lang, mas maraming cases sa alleged opposition ngayon because itong alleged opposition were the majority in the previous administration. So they enjoyed perks, they enjoyed privileges, and allegedly in the course of enjoying these perks, nag-abuse sila. Kaya sila ngayon ang opposition, maraming kaso." — Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, on the pronouncements of the opposition that they are being "picked on."
We can already predict what the other side would say. (Resounding silence!)
3. "Female superheroes are normally naked or in bikinis. No one would be able to fight like that. Wonder Woman, how the hell does she fight? She would be dead in a minute." — Model Cara Delevingne, on female superheroes.
Unless Wonder Woman were fighting Darna, then they would be equally naked. (Our inner geeks would argue that Amazon women are a little tougher than your regular female.)
4. "If you get caught with 200 tons of fake rice, I’ll give you 24 hours to consume it all." — Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte, on rice smugglers.
In case you haven't been abreast of this issue, the fake rice is deadly as it contains synthetic resin. Needless to say, consuming 200 tons of it in 24 hours could prove to be fatal.
5. "Hindi po ito isang telenovela. Hindi po ito drama tungkol sa inyong pamilya, sa inyong paghahari-hari sa Makati. Ito po ay tungkol sa batas. Ang batas po ay nagsasabi na sinuspende kayo ng Ombudsman." — DILG Secretary Mar Roxas, on seeming megalomania.
It's not every day that someone gets to call out an official for living with certain delusions.
6. "Hindi tayo maninisi o magbibintang sa iba. Aakuin natin ang responsibilidad at pananagutan nang buong pagpapakumbaba." — Vice President Jejomar Binay, during the UNA Party Launch.
Curiously, a video of the Vice President was released by several news agencies on that day. Hindi siya naninisi. Nanduduro lang.
7. "Ilan ba yang nasa social media? Maraming bayaran diyan." — Suspended Makati Mayor Junjun Binay, on the meme life.
This is a boomerang insult, so we'd like to ask Mr. Binay to duck. For the same could be said about...so many things.
8. "The Aquino administration stands on its record of having restored the pride and dignity of the Filipino nation." — Communications Secretary Sonny Coloma, responding to Vice President Binay's jabs.
Yeah, especially when our President was at a car factory inauguration while 44 bodies were being flown in from a botched mission.
9. "So magnanakaw na raw ho 'yung partido namin, tanga pa. Sobra namang insulto ho yata talaga iyon. Pero ganoon talaga ang buhay, lulunukin ko nalang ho." — President Benigno Aquino III and the very public LQ with his VP.
This rarely happens, but Mr. President, we feel you.
10. "VP Binay never approached us to convey his comments, recommendations, and solutions to rail issues. I have always remained approachable and always kept an open mind for any ideas. Not once did he bother to discuss rail issues with me." — DOTC Secretary Jun Abaya, on the Vice President's jabs at the MRT's poor management.
We have a feeling that whoever actually solves the MRT problem would get the entire vote and support (and love) of Metro Manila.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.