Quotes of the Week: Senator Cayetano drops rhymes, Senator Drilon speaks the truth about the MRT + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Iglesia ni Cristo is a surprise guest in the headlines this week. First, there's that shocker for Chris Brown when they prevented him from leaving the country by filing an estafa case. (Remember his no-show show for the Philippine Arena New Year's Eve show?) They made a second appearance in the news after a viral video made the social media rounds, leaving everyone confused and bothered.
Meanwhile, with the State of the Nation Address coming up, concerned citizens are eagerly waiting for the official endorsement of the President...and what the red carpet would look like. Oh, and Vice President Jejomar Binay has filled a lawsuit against his critics!
1. "Hablang panakot ang depensa ng kurakot." — Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on the P200-million lawsuit filed by Vice President Jejomar Binay.
Oh snap! Also, maybe all that wit should also be applied to making laws.
2. "Feeling ko whether or not maganda 'yung suot ko, 'yung mga bashers ko will still bash me." — Senator Nancy Binay, on SONA fashion.
Bashers gonna bash, bash, bash. If it helps, they bash all things equally?
3. "I will make you eat the trash." — Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte, on other countries dumping trash on our landfills.
Someone should do research on the effectivity of this method to stop crime (and other, er, bad things).
4. "Paano naman, yung diaryo ninyo ay mahigit akong apat-napung beses na na-headline." — Vice President Jejomar Binay, on why he included the Philippine Daily Inquirer in his P200-million lawsuit against "critics."
Wait, we thought headlines were a good thing for people running for president.
5. "Everybody is already talking about who the captain of our ship should be when the more crucial task is to examine the condition of our ship so that we can assemble the right crew." — Former Chief Justice Reynato S. Puno, on what this country needs.
The boat is sinking.
6. "She is not interested. She will only run for vice president if I were her president. That's a joke." — Senator Ralph Recto, on wife Batangas Governor Vilma Santos' plans for 2016.
And here is your obligatory laugh: Ha. Ha. Ha.
7. "He would make the fight interesting; baka siya ang magiging Mayweather." — Senator Serge Osmeña, on Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte.
Preferrably not the version of the champion boxer with the history of domestic violence.
8. "Thanks to your prayers and kind thoughts, I continue to feel better. I can now walk two kilometers every day. See you all soon!" — Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, on her road to recovery.
Some healthy people don't even walk that much. Kidding aside, a toast to your good health, Madam Senator!
9. "I would like to see in the last year of the President some firm executive action on transport services. Let's face it, the MRT-3 is a disappointment." — Senator Franklin Drilon, on what P-Noy should focus on.
Maybe that was the plan all along. Let it fester then rebuild it magically at the eleventh hour?
10. "Magaganda ang suot nila, maraming perlas sa leeg, mga porselas na ginto. Pagkatapos, yung mga taong umaasa sa kanila ay hand-to-mouth existence lang." — Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Emeritus Oscar Cruz, on SONA fashion.
There's no better response for this than, "Right on, right on."
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.