Quotes of the Week: Miriam talks balikbayan boxes, Angelica Panganiban gets feisty + more
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) We learned a thing or two about balikbayan boxes this week, and how we're not too comfortable with the idea that the government can take a peek into them. Netizens turned to their Facebook pages to express disgust over the proposed regulations by the Bureau of Customs, but OFW groups are particularly unhappy about the results of their hard work becoming fodder for Customs officials. Meanwhile, celebrities were also feeling the rage, with one star giving her Instagram bashers a few er, carefully selected curse words.
1. "It is one thing to inspect balikbayan boxes, another to desecrate them." — Sen. Miriam Santiago on the Bureau of Customs' proposal to impose stricter rules on screening balikbayan boxes.
That's Miriam for you, always telling it like it is!
2. "Tulungan natin 'yung Customs na gawin 'yung kanilang trabaho at dapat naman siguraduhin ng gobyerno na wala namang karapatan ng taumbayan na mapipinsala dito sa paghahabol ng pangangalaga ng kapakanan ng lahat."— President Benigno Aquino III on the inspection of balikbayan boxes.
That's a good start, but don't blame us for not trusting the BOC's less-than-stellar track record.
3. "It's a long way to go. We just have to wait."— MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino on the implementation of the transport infrastructure development for Metro Manila, which is expected to finish by 2030.
In the meantime, the rest of humanity has discovered time travel, a hundred new galaxies, and the Sorcerer's Stone.
4. "I am no longer a politician." — Senator Juan Ponce Enrile when asked if he will run in the 2016 Elections.
The Supreme Court released him this week on P1.4-million bail for his plunder case. We wonder who the Supreme Court will release next. Pogi or Sexy?
5. "Pemberton told the court he thought Laude just lost consciousness after he strangled her, which he considered an act of self defense."— Atty. Harry Roque, legal counsel of the Laude family, on the ongoing trial of Joseph Scott Pemberton for the murder of Jeffrey "Jennifer" Laude.
When Pemberton was on the witness stand, he cited that he suffered from "gay shock syndrome" or "homosexual panic" and that he had to "defend" himself.
6. "Tinatamaan kayo sa caption ko? Eh mga bobo pala kayo eh...If you guys can't get my sense of humor, then stop following me." — Actress Angelica Panganiban on haters who suggested she was mocking Bea Alonzo's Instagram posts.
Don't mess with Madame.
7. "If you can’t choose between Grace, Mar, and Binay, then don’t make me an excuse. Why me?" — Davao Governor Rodrigo Duterte refusing to run in 2016.
The governor also said that the Constitution and the system are flawed and even if he wants to run, he will have a hard time doing so.
8. "Hindi ako natakot magkamali…Anumang tagumpay na narating ko ngayon, nakatungtong ako sa isang bundok ng mga pagkakamali." — Ricky Lee on receiving his UP Gawad Plaridel.
Lee is the 11th recipient of the prestigious award. Other awardees include Nora Aunor, Cheche Lazaro, Kidlat Tahimik, and Vilma Santos.
9. "[I was] crazy in love pero ayaw niya sa akin." — Jolina Magdangal on Marvin Agustin during their teenage years.
But for Marvin, kaibigan lang siya. And she made the stupid mistake of falling in love with her best friend.
10. "If you feel you are in a black hole, don’t give up. There’s a way out." — Prof. Stephen Hawking on his discovery of a mechanism that allows information to return out of a black hole.
The professor should design motivation posters.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph, screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshow videos.