Quotes of the Week: Mayor Duterte says he's not running for president, Luis Manzano gets angry + more
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) The next presidential election is only nine months away, so naturally all media outlets are reporting about it with the same frequency as #AlDub, the country's hottest love team. Making headlines this week is Davao Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, who announced his decision that he won't run for president in 2016. Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG) was met with praises on their first day manning EDSA, but the good news was cut short on September 8, Tuesday, when motorists and commuters got stranded for what seemed like hours on end on the major thoroughfare.
1. "In 2016, I will retire from public life. I believe it's no longer my time...I'm not running for president and I never wanted to be one." — Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte on his plans for 2016.
The mayor's supporters probably feel like the rejected ex-girlfriend who's still holding on to hope, no matter how many times he says it's over.
2. "It’s not yet perfect. This will not be solved in one sitting." — Metro Manila "traffic czar" Rene Almendras on the deployment of the Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG) to EDSA.
We hope this won't be a case of ningas kugon.
3. "I am setting the example so that politicians will know we mean it. And we do not want our Dabarkads to be politicized."— Sen. Tito Sotto when asked if he will use the Aldub love team as endorsers for the next election.
Some people are just better off staying in showbiz, right, Senator?
4. "There was a girl that I actually broke my own heart for. It was just not the right time and I made decisions...decisions that broke my heart." — Derek Ramsay allegedly referring to ex-girlfriend, Solenn Heussaff.
Oh well, nasa huli ang pagsisisi.
5. "To whoever reports my videos...Don't be an idiot, just unfollow me." — Luis Manzano on Instagram followers who supposedly reported him for posting "inappropriate" content.
6. "Feeling siguro nila wala akong pambayad." — Ai-Ai delas Alas on being questioned by a waitress in a New York restaurant why she ordered so many food.
She may not have looked it, but she could definitely afford it.
7. "There's a war now between the fans and everything, but I think everyone just needs to take a chill pill." — Anne Curtis on the noontime show "wars."
Can everyone just stop being on a juice cleanse and take a chill pill?
8. "It feels really good to win more than one game. We want more." — UP Fighting Maroons player Jett Manuel on their back-to-back wins at the UAAP Season 78.
Ready the bonfire!
9. "Don’t vote for me because I’m a woman, but I think if you vote for someone on their merits, one of my merits is I’m a woman." — Hillary Clinton during a TV guest appearance on Ellen.
The U.S. State Secretary seems determined to run against Republican frontrunner, billionaire Donald Trump.
10. "She’s the toughest player I’ve ever played in my life and the best person I know. It’s going against your best friend and at the same time going against the greatest competitor, for me, in women’s tennis." — Serena Williams on beating sister Venus Williams at the U.S. Open.
This sibling rivalry puts other sibling rivalries to shame!
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph, screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshow videos.