Quotes of the Week: James Reid on fantasies, Lea Salonga on kababawan + more
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) This week was all about misunderstandings and clearing the air. The network war showed no signs of slowing down, with hyperactive fans continuing to challenge anyone—celebrity or not—who dared to bash their fandom. Meanwhile, more politicians are announcing their plans for 2016, Gilas Pilipinas has been playing with a lot of puso, and water has been found on Mars.
1. "I don't expect you to understand me. I get that you all want me to just live your fantasy...But sorry, this is my life." — Actor James Reid on his private life.
Sometimes fantasy is better than reality.
2. "Okay lang sa akin ang kababawan, pero hanggang doon na lamang ba tayo?" — Singer and host Lea Salonga on the entertainment industry.
The statement was posted during the National Pabebe Wave Day and AlDub fans were quick to criticize Lea for this patama tweet. The singer denied that she was referring to AlDub and blamed it on a bad case of timing.
3. "Hindi naman natin mapagkakaila. Hindi naman lingid sa kaalaman...Grabe, luma na 'yan eh. Kumapit ako noon. Tama na." — Actress Kim Chiu when asked by Vice Ganda if she ever got cheated on by an ex-boyfriend.
We wonder if Kim was thinking of her famous movie line (said to former flame and co-star Gerald Anderson): "Syinota mo ako eh, syinota mo ang best friend mo!"
4. "I am running for vice president of the Philippines, and I’m putting my faith in God and to you—our people." — Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano on his vice-presidential bid.
The senator made his official announcement on Tuesday in Davao City. He also said that if Davao Mayor Rodrigo Duterte should change his mind and finally decide to run, he would not hesitate to be his running mate.
5. "For me, wala naman akong ginawang mali kasi wala naman akong sinaktang tao. And I was just there to have fun. It was a party." — Ellen Adarna on a certain drunken incident at the Star Magic Ball.
Sometimes etiquette trumps fun.
6. "Aminin natin na talagang plano ko talagang tumakbo sa pagkapangulo. Sa tingin ko nga isa yun sa dahilan kung bakit ako nandito sa kulungan eh. Pero ganoon pa man...bata pa ko at babangon si Bong Revilla." — Sen. Bong Revilla on his desire to run to be president of the Philippines.
Panday to the rescue!
7. "The income taxes should be studied because nagtaas ang presyo. Mayroon akong suggestion. Lift the income tax holidays, rationalize income tax holidays on corporations here in the Philippines. Ang makukuha niyo diyan more than P150 billion." — Economist Solita Collas-Monsod a.k.a. Mareng Winnie on what the government could do to counter revenue losses from the proposed lowering of income taxes.
O, 'wag na pasaway! May solusyon naman pala eh.
8. "Wala pa kaming napapatunayan." — Gilas Pilipinas player Marc Pingris after their win over Iran.
The team later on crushed India and emerged as the top team in Group E in the Asia FIBA Knockout round.
9. "I just wanna honestly live like Jesus." — Justin Bieber on his newfound spirituality.
He also clarified that he still won't go to church because "You don’t need to go to church to be a Christian. If you go to Taco Bell, that doesn’t make you a taco." Uh. Okay. Whatever you say, Biebs.
10. "Mars is not the dry, arid planet that we thought of in the past. Liquid water has been found on Mars." — Jim Green, director of planetary science at NASA headquarters, on finding water in Mars.
Cue Life on Mars by David Bowie.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph, screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshow videos.