(SPOT.ph) He's been sent numerous invitations to be the guest of honor in various engagements in Metro Manila, but President Rodrigo Duterte has repeatedly declined because he says he doesn't want to add to Metro traffic. This was the president's message in an open letter read by presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella on Sunday, July 24, the Inquirer reported.
“As president, my travels always include protocols and security measures which create traffic congestion and disturb everyday lives and activities...It seems only prudent and sensible not to add unnecessary stress to our efforts of creating comfortable lives,” the letter read.
Duterte also apologized and asked for understanding from those who invited him.
“Until such time that we have effectively addressed these matters, please understand that I may need to decline your warm and respectful invitation. My deepest apologies,” he said.
Meanwhile, Philstar noted that Duterte still finds these invitations flattering but maintains his best intentions for the nation.
Earlier this month, former Senate President Franklin Drilon filed a bill seeking to grant the president emergency powers to address the traffic situation. Meanwhile, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade vowed to ease traffic in 100 days.
Photo from ABS-CBN News