Duterte says there will be more drug-related deaths
"How much? Four hundred?"
(SPOT.ph) President Rodrigo Duterte says he remains unaffacted by the drug-related deaths under his administration despite being criticized by the United Nations for his supposed "endorsement of extrajudicial killings." In a speaking engagement on Thursday, August 4, the president warned that these numbers will continue to rise as vigilantism and extrajudicial killings take the driver’s seat, GMA News reported.
“Rarami pa ito. How much? Four hundred? Kasi iyang [mga drug suspect] lalaban talaga eh. Alam ko iyan,” he said. Duterte explains how drug suspects are already high on substances during encounters with authorities which is why they usually put up a fight. “I do not care. I really do not care because I know na kapag iyang bangag na,” he said.
Data from GMA News shows there have been at least 400 drug suspects killed in Duterte’s war against drugs including 181 killed by vigilantes and another 259 who died during police operations.
Among these figures is the case of Michael Siaron, a pedicab driver who was gunned down on the street by still-unidentified assailants, Interaksyon reported. A photo of Siaron being cradled by his partner amid a sea of curious onlookers has since gone viral, even landing on the cover of the New York Times.
So far, only a few people in government have spoken out against the rise in killings, including Vice President Leni Robredo and Sen. Leila de Lima. Duterte who enjoys a 91% public trust rating said he would look into the cases of salvage victims, adding that these would be properly investigated by authorities.
Photo from GMA News