ECQ, Again: What to Expect During ECQ "Season 2"
Several areas have again been placed under lockdown or the strict enhanced community quarantine as government moved to clamp down on a surge in COVID-19 cases.
The enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) is scheduled from March 29 to April 4 in Metro Manila, Laguna, Cavite, Rizal, and Bulacan.
What Can We Expect From the 2021 ECQ?
- Essential construction works and public transportation are allowed at truncated capacity to be determined by the Department of Transportation and Department of Public Works and Highways.
- The curfew will be longer in the NCR Plus area: from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Shopping malls will be open, limited to essentials such as food and medicine.
- Restaurants are allowed to operate for take-out and deliveries.
- Travel pass will not be required.
- Convenience stores, public markets are open.
- Mass gatherings are prohibited, including religious ones.
- Those below 18 and over 65 are prohibited from leaving their homes.
- Online classes will continue.
What Is ECQ?
ECQ or enhanced community quarantine is the strictest of all forms of quarantine used in the Philippines. Under ECQ, movement is heavily restricted and limited to acquiring basic goods and services.
The government, in 2020, doled out aid or ayuda to help Filipinos during the lockdown since many were unable to work.
"Magkakaroon po tayo ng tulong na ipapamigay sa ating mga kababayan," Roque said, adding more details would be available on March 29.
Who Can Go Out During ECQ?
Authorized persons outside of residence can go out during ECQ. This includes a household representative who is tasked to buy food and other basic necessities during the lockdown period.
Strict stay-at-home orders are in effect during ECQ, which means that leisure travel is prohibited.
Is There Public Transportation During ECQ?
Public transportation is suspended during ECQ based on omnibus guidelines, but for the 2021 ECQ, it is allowed at truncated capacity to be determined by the Department of Transportation.
What Businesses Are Allowed to Operate?
Businesses and industries that provide or produce basic goods and offer essential services such as hospitals, and agriculture industries are allowed to operate at full capacity during the ECQ period.
Private establishments, media firms, and workers accredited by the Department of Transportation can operate at 50% capacity.
The following can only operate with a skeleton workforce:
- Pharmacies, Rehabilitation, Dental services
- Veterinary clinics
- Banks, money transfer services
- Telecommunications companies, Internet service providers
- Manufacturing companies and suppliers
- Funeral and embalming services
- Security personnel
- Real estate activities limited to leasing only
- Capital markets
- Water supply and sanitation services and facilities
- Energy and power companies
- Philippine Postal Corporation, Philippine Statistics Authority, printing presses
- Airline and aircraft maintenance
- Necrological or funeral rites
- Machinery and equipment repair and maintenance
Tourism and leisure-related services are prohibited.
Can I Go to Work During ECQ?
Work-from-home arrangements are encouraged during the ECQ period. For authorized persons outside of residence who need to physically report for work, an ID is needed.
Are Mass Gatherings Allowed?
Mass gatherings are prohibited, including religious ones.
As in all forms of community quarantine, Filipinos are required to practice minimum health standards at all times: wear face mask and face shield, observe physical distancing, exercise proper handwashing.
We are now on Quento! Download the app and enjoy more articles and videos from SPOT.ph and other Summit Media websites.