Ex-AFP Chief Angelo Reyes reportedly commits suicide in front of mother’s grave
Former Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief and Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes reportedly committed suicide this morning according to an Inquirer.net report, citing information from an unnamed close friend of Reyes who called the newspaper to break the news. While no other news outlets have directly confirmed the suicide, the Inquirer report indicated that Reyes shot himself in the chest in front of his mother’s grave at the Loyola Memorial Park in Marikina City. He supposedly went to the memorial park with his two children and two aides, a caretaker told dzMM radio.
Colonel Boogie De Leon told Inquirer.net that Reyes was brought to the Quirino Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City at 7:45 a.m. DZMM reports that doctors tried to revive Reyes and treat his chest wound, according to ANC Alerts’ Twitter account. ANC quoted Health Secretary Enrique Ona: "Reyes pronounced dead at 8:32 a.m."
Last month at a Senate hearing, former AFP budget officer George Rabusa claimed Reyes received a pabaon (send-off) gift worth at least P50 million when he retired in 2001. Reyes said he does not remember accepting the supposed pabaon. He later filed graft against Rabusa.
Today, Newsbreak posted an article on its Facebook page that said Navy Commodore Rex Robles quoted his friend Reyes as saying "Wala na ito, pare. There is a program to eat me." Reyes repeatedly uttered these words after Rabusa’s surprise appearance at the Senate on January 27, according to Robles.
Reyes felt the Senate probe will drag down his entire family, Robles said. "He was depressed... I saw darkness... he felt it was a dead-end for him."
For more on this story, log on to Inquirer.net.