Catch 30 different 10-minute plays at Circuit Makati this month
Hate sitting through a two-hour show? Short + Sweet Theater is perfect for you.
(SPOT.ph) Full-length plays not your thing? Then the biggest short play festival in the world may just be what you're looking for.
Short + Sweet Theater, a festival of 10-minute plays, runs for the third time in Manila at a brand new venue, the Power Mac Center Spotlight at Circuit Makati, from October 21 to November 5. It features 30 short theater pieces, 30 directors, and over 100 actors, all divided in three sets.
This theatrical initiative began as a small festival in Sydney, Australia and slowly gained international attention through partners all over the world. It now runs annually in culture hubs in Los Angeles, New Delhi, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, and Penang, and many more locations. Interested playwrights who submit their 10-minute piece to one Short + Sweet (S+S) leg have the option to be considered in other countries, an interesting way to showcase Philippine talent in other parts of the planet and vice versa. All S+S seasons are guaranteed to have high-quality 10-minute pieces that are selected through "a vigorous, merit-based process, employing an open call for material, auditions, and artist interviews.”
The festival dates and lineup of plays are as follows:
October 21, 8 p.m.; October 22, 7 p.m.; October 23, 7 p.m.
- The Assignment by Greg Gould
- Waiting for Go by Elspeth Tilley
- Objectum Sexuality by Ron Burch
- The Search by Michael Panes
- Stargazers by Greg Gould
- Press Pray by Seth Freeman
- Transferring Kyle by Jonathan Cook
- Bob Gets Cast Out of Hell by Robert O’ Connell
- Lady and the Tyger or William Blake’s…
October 28, 8 p.m.; October 29, 7 p.m.; October 30, 7 p.m.
- Wheelchair by Scott Mullen
- Enjoy! by Pamela Western
- Alexander the Great by James Ferguson
- The Office of Threats to Western Civilization by Kate Jaimet
- Simulationship by David Straus
- Red Wire, Blue Wire by Gregory Crafts
- How Violet Met Watson
October 29 and 30, 3:30 p.m.
- It Doesn’t by George Smart
- Perspective by James McLindon
- The Proposal
- Sandbox by Scott Mullen
- It’s All the Rage by Carl J. Sorheim
- Narating Ko ang Langit
- Crime Fiction by Rachel le Rossignol
- Dead Giveaway by Daniel Guyton
- War/Kiss by Alex Broun
- Crisis Line
- Honey by Dona Parise
November 4, 8 p.m.; November 5, 7 p.m.
Winners for Short + Sweet Manila 2015 include Voicing Up the Marriage by Bruno Starrs (Best Overall Production), Alphonzo Alegrado for Thank You, Mr. Pongpat and Katreen Dela Cruz for Decisions, Decisions (Best Directors), and Vladimeir Gonzales for Si Nelson, ang Nanay, ang Pancit Canton (Best Playwright).
Short + Sweet Manila runs from October 21 to November 5 at Power Mac Center Spotlight, Circuit Lane, Circuit Makati, Makati. Tickets, priced at P420 to P550, can be availed prior to the show. For more information, visit Short + Sweet Manila on Facebook.