The power of your peso isn't what it used to be.
The global economic slump plus inflation is telling us to save more and spend less. With the media telling us that our world economy should brace ourselves for much worse, it's safe to say that we're not expecting a perfect future ahead of us.
But of course, us foodies can never let go of the joys of dining out. There's just something about having food served outside the house that's so appealing. What's an urbanite to do with all the calls for penny-pinching and saving for a rainy day? Luckily, there are still restaurants out there that are doing their best to lure us into their domain with fantastic discounts and promotions, making our dining economy a buyer's market. Here's our list of recession eats.
1. Rai Rai Ken is offering a 50% discount on your total bill in their stand alone stores. Yes, you heard us - that's half-off your entire bill! The discount does not include their branches inside malls (except their SM Southmall and Robinsons Galleria branches, which are also participating).
2. Pepper Lunch is dishing out 20% off on different dishes (all which come with rice and drinks) daily. For Monday it's the Pepper Steak, Tuesday it's the Teriyaki Pepper Chicken, Wednesday it's the Double Beef Pepper Rice, Thursday it's the Hamburger Steak with Fried Egg, and Friday it's the Unagi and Salmon Combo. The promo is only available from 11:00AM to 1:00PM so make sure you're eating at Pepper Lunch within that two hour window.
3. KingOne Rotary Hot Pot. Imagine shabu-shabu with ingredients rolling right beside your table on a conveyor belt with over 90 different ingredients you can drop in your pot. It's an eat-all-you-can hot pot fiesta for P449 during lunch and P499 during dinner. Regular favorites are mozzarella balls, lamb slices, and oysters.
4. Secret Recipe. The restaurant is celebrating their two and half years in Manila by treating everyone to a 25% discount off the total bill. This promo applies to their branches in The Fort at 32nd and 5th (3:00PM to 7:00PM) and in their Robinsons Manila branch (10:00AM to 3:00PM).
5. Pizza Hut. Register at their local website and get a chance to win two family size Super Supreme Pan Pizzas and a 1.5 liter bottle of Pepsi. That's enough for the whole barkada! Then again, you'd have to wait for the end of the month to find out if you've won.
6. Gerry's Grill. If you're one who likes to have more than just one viand when you eat out, then the relatively inexpensive Value Variety Plates of Gerry's Grill is your ticket to satisfaction. For only P149, you can have a single serving of rice, your choice of viand and vegetables or pancit.
7. Melo's. The famous steak place is doing something new and holding a Seafood Festival. Dig into the freshest seafood and get a 20% discount on your total bill. This is of course provided if you dine in groups of 4 - so use this as an excuse to get together with your friends at Melo's!
8. Kenny Rogers Roasters. Treat your barkada or family to a P320 dinner consisting of a whole Kenny's Classic Roast Chicken and two large servings of any side dish of your choice. Later, you can brag about how much of a big shot you are (and a clever dude for taking advantage of the 175 pesos off the original price).
9. Texas Roadhouse Grill. If you're thinking of going to some other place for dessert after dining in this restaurant, you'd better think twice. If your total bill reaches P500, you'll get a coupon which enables you to get any of their desserts for only P1. Yep, gather all your friends, get that P500 bill and share that one peso dessert.
10. Chili's. Got an extended studying session or just itching to get out of the office to do some work? Make full use of the free Wi-Fi connection at Chili's - with no minimum purchase necessary. Get the bottomless iced tea and you're all set for a whole day of free surfing!
11. Chowking. These days, you can spend up to P100 for a single meal at a fast food joint. But not at Chowking. Grab two of their Value King Meals for only P49 (that's two filling plates for less than P100). One plate can have your choice of 8 food items (Pork Chao Fan, Wanton Noodle Soup, Chicken Kikiam with rice, Lumpiang Shanghai with rice, 4 pieces Siomai, Asado Siopao, Canton with Sioplet, and Fried Siomai with rice) plus one regular soft drink.
12. The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Those who bought a Belle Du Jour Planner know that it's filled with freebies from different shops and restaurants. But more importantly, the planner also contains buy 1, take 1 coupons for various CBTL food items (breakfast, cakes and drinks). If you don't have a planner, we suggest sticking close to someone who has - you never know when they might be feeling a little generous!
13. Goldilocks. Frequent shoppers with a BPI credit card can now get something from their card aside from late charges. If you spend at least P1000 pesos on your BPI credit card, Goldilocks will make nice and give you a freebie - your choice of one of their signature dishes (Palabok, Dinuguan or Sago't Gulaman).
14. Kabisera ng Dencio's. Feel like having a drink? Kabisera will give you a Pink Lady for every P600 you spend using your Metrobank credit card.
15. Abbondanza Pizzeria Ristorante - You don't fancy getting a for-sharing dish but still want to get that steaming plate of your old Abbondanza favorite. Here's good news for you - the restaurant is now offering a smaller versions of their famous for-sharing dishes. Dig into a single serving of Risotto con Sogliola (P175), Risotto al Funghi Porcini (P150), Risotto con la Fondutta (P165), Risotto con Osso Buco (P175), Pollo Arrosto (P145), Salsicce al Vino Biance with Potatoes (P175), or Calamari Ripieni (P175) without worrying about leftovers!