10 Things You May Not Know About KC Concepcion
KC Concepcion on getting married, being Kris Aquino's personal assistant, and reuniting her parents Sharon and Gabby.
Host-singer-actress KC Concepcion has been in the spotlight even before she was born. As the only daughter of former reel-turned-real couple Sharon Cuneta and Gabby Concepcion, she was expected to join the entertainment realm. That she did, VJ-ing for MTV and portraying Belle in the musical Beauty and the Beast, among others. It wasn't until after she graduated from the American University in Paris in 2007 that she fully joined showbiz. Just three years later, she's been in movies and TV specials with the country's top leading men like Richard Gutierrez and Piolo Pascual. She recently took over the hosting stint Ruffa Gutierrez left in The Buzz and launched her own talk show, Simply KC.
At the press conference launching the "Go Natural" campaign of Palmolive, which KC has been endorsing for the past three years, she spills on her annulled parents' public reunion, her "really disgusting" keloid and being Kris Aquino's personal assistant.
1. KC used to pick fights with her parents' partners. "Ang dali-dali kong awayin 'yung mga girlfriend ni Papa dati [pati] 'yung mga boyfriend ni Mama dati pero I don't think meron akong nabastos kasi strict 'yung Mommy ko sa part na 'yun. Lagi niya 'kong pinagsasabihan and in-e-explain niya na, 'Hindi na kami magkakabalikan. It has nothing to do with you but let's respect their lives. And those women are probably taking care of him so they love your papa the same way that you love him.' So if only for that, naka-relate pa ko sa women na, 'Ah kakampi kita kasi love mo rin si Papa.'"
KC and her dad Gabby star in their first ever movie together, I'll Be There.
2. Sharing her parents' reunion with the public was her "biggest fear of the year apart from being on The Buzz." After years of silence between her annulled parents, the two together with KC will be seen talking and joking around on the June 13 episode of Sharon. KC and Gabby are Sharon's guests promoting their first movie together, I'll Be There.
"I really believe there's a purpose why we all met again and we're here on a show. 'Cause at the end of the day, I only had a show and I waited all my life for it to happen. It's kind of a sad thing that it ended in a day. It's just a couple of hours on a show. Everyone's going to see it as entertainment but from a natural point of view, it was also a reunion. It was also a way for us to resolve things and be at peace finally, officially."
KC and Gabby during an intense acting workshop.
3. Sharon gave KC the silent treatment before the guesting. Well, it was just the guesting itself they didn't talk about. "It was very professional, actually. Walang nag-te-textan na, hala, anong mangyayari. We knew naman that the episode would be so real and personal. We didn't want to pre-empt the moment," KC says.
KC co-hosts The Buzz for the first time.
4. KC wants to be Kris Aquino's personal assistant (PA). Adventurous girl that she is, KC wants to know how hard a PA's life is. She chose the dubbed Queen of All Media Kris Aquino "because she's interesting. I think she has a very colorful life. I think she'll have colorful demands."
KC on her rumored boyfriend Piolo Pascual and her ex-boyfriend Lino Cayetano.
5. Surprise visits, not text messages, are the way to KC's heart. She admits she has no time for a love life but she appreciates "the chosen few" who visit her on set. "Ang sarap lang na you know you don't have to lift a finger because if they really want to see you, they'll see you. Hindi ko nga masyado na-che-check ang telepono kasi matutulog nalang ako kaysa naman mapagod pa ang mata ko sa pag-te-text di ba? So 'pag biglang sumusulpot, alam mong nag-research siya, nagtanong sa PA, manager or staff. Mas masarap 'yung 'pag hindi ikaw 'yung nagsabi kung nasaan ka at kung hindi ikaw yung humihingi."
KC on marriage.
6. KC wants to get married in five years. "[My mom] has been pushing me to get married since I was born. [But I'd like to get married] maybe my late twenties, like 29. And a half. Or maybe 30… I've always wanted to be a young mom but I changed my mind. There's so much I can still do."
7. K is for keloidal. "We are keloidal. Eh ako pa naman ma-motor, ma-jet ski. Ice skating pa lang, nagkakasugat na talaga ako. I have a really long scar on my knee from a motorbike accident. It's been there for 11 years and it gets really red. It's really gross. Nagke-keloid. Namamaga siya."
An ABS-CBN special: KC From Paris to Pinas
8. The LRT reminds her of Paris. Not because the LRT evokes romantic feelings like the City of Lights is known for but because it reminds her of her student days in Paris when she rode public trains. For Simply KC, she rode the whole length of the LRT Line 1 from Baclaran to Monumento. "That was a favorite [episode]."
9. KC eats dried seaweed for protein and cayenne pepper for energy. An Eastern medicine doctor coaches her on healthy eating and advises her to take cayenne pepper instead of energy pills. She shares the benefits and the art of eating dried seaweed: "Protein-wise, it gives you as much protein as beef. Basta you have to wash it three times kasi 'pag once lang, lasang tubig dagat. It becomes like seaweed salad. I eat it with tuna siomai that I get from a Japanese store."
10. KC has "come full circle." She says, "I started out doing commercials, musical theater, singing, acting and dancing all at the same time when I was 16. Now that I'm doing talk shows, this is the most me that I can get. So if you ask me how I've changed, I've really become more open and I allow myself to feel things."
Photo courtesy of ABS-CBN via PEP.ph.