(SPOT.ph) Butterfly sleeves, perfectly coiffed hair, shimmering jewelry; Imelda Marcos is exactly as we remember her—and more—in the trailer for The Kingmaker. A Showtime documentary directed by Lauren Greenfield, The Kingmaker focuses on Imelda Marcos and her "whitewashing the past for a clean path to power for her only son, Ferdinand 'Bongbong' Marcos Jr," according to Bloomberg.
Snippets of the Iron Butterfly in bright ternos and equally bright jewelry are interlaced with shots of her giving away cash, old footage, interviews with her and others (including current Vice President Leni Robredo and Imelda's only son, Bongbong Marcos, who is still competing for the same seat years after having lost the election), and even one hard-to-miss clip of her accidentally but also nonchalantly breaking several picture frames.
Aside from the intriguing visuals, we've also got some very uhm, captivating quotes from the documentary. While some appear to be snippets from older interviews—but are still definitely worth being said again—we list down a few quotes that really stood out:
- "The poor always looks for a star in the dark of the night." - Imelda Marcos, presumably referring to herself
- "The best politician that I've ever seen is my mother." - Bongbong Marcos
- "I had nothing against him. Except that he talked too much anyway." - Imelda Marcos
- "They found no skeletons, only beautiful shoes." - Imelda Marcos
- "I want to mother not only the Philippines, but the world." - Imelda Marcos
- "Perception is real, and the truth is not." - Imelda Marcos
Main image is a screenshot from The Kingmaker official trailer.