10 Inspiring Quotes From Caitlyn Jenner's ESPY Acceptance Speech
She accepted the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage
(SPOT.ph) Caitlyn Jenner took the stage on Wednesday (Thursday in Philippine time) for ESPN' s ESPY Awards, which recognizes "individual and team athletic achievement" during the year. She received the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage and delivered an emotional speech about her journey from Olympic athlete to transgender activist.
Here are 10 inspiring quotes from her speech:
1. "If there is one thing I do know about my life, it is the power of the spotlight. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, but with attention comes responsibility."
2. "I know I’m clear with my responsibility going forward, to tell my story the right way—for me, to keep learning, to reshape the landscape of how trans issues are viewed, how trans people are treated. And then more prominently to promote a very simple idea: accepting people for who they are. Accepting people’s differences."
3. "Learn as much as you can about another person to understand them better."
4. "...Trans people deserve something vital. They deserve your respect. And from that respect comes a more compassionate community, a more empathetic society, and a better world for all of us."
5. "...Now, as of this week, it appears trans people will soon be serving in the military. That’s a great idea. We have come a long way. But we have a lot of work to do."
6. "I always wanted my family to be so proud of their dad because of what he has accomplished in his life. You guys have given so much back to me, you’ve given me so much support, I’m so, so grateful to have all of you in my life. Thank you."
7. "I always thought that I got my courage and my determination from my dad. He landed on Omaha Beach and fought all the way through World War II. But you know what I’m thinking now, Mom, is that I got all these qualities from you."
8. "If you want to call me names, make jokes, doubt my intentions, go ahead, because the reality is I can take it. But for the thousands of kids out there who are coming to terms with being true to who they are, they shouldn’t have to take it."
9. "...For the people out there wondering what all this is about—whether it’s about courage or controversy or publicity—well, I’ll tell you what it’s all about. It’s about what happens from here. It’s not just about one person, it’s about thousands of people. It’s not just about me, it’s about all of us accepting one another."
10. "While it may not be easy to get past the things you do not understand, I want to prove that it is absolutely possible if we only do it together."