New Moon is highest-grossing movie on opening day + other lowlights
Andrew Paredes' juicy commentary on the hottest headlines: Crying Jinkee, "Tolerant" Tulfo, Outgoing Oprah, Re-friended Loren and Manny, and more!
1. COMELEC DEFENDS DECISION TO BAR ANG LADLAD FROM RUNNING IN 2010, SAYING GAYS ARE WELL-REPRESENTED IN CONGRESS. Hey, Comelec, it's time for you to come out of the closet–only gays have the best-tuned gaydar!
2. RAMON TULFO WARNS HOMOSEXUALS VIA NEWSPAPER COLUMN NOT TO ABUSE "TOLERANCE OF SOCIETY." Because society's tolerance for blowhard commentators is already being sorely tested.
3. SARAH PALIN GOES ON BOOK TOUR, SKIPS LOS ANGELES, SAN FRANCISCO, SEATTLE, PHILADELPHIA, BOSTON, AND NEW YORK. She'd prefer to visit places where books are for burning.
4. LOREN LEGARDA AGREES TO BE MANNY VILLAR'S RUNNING MATE DESPITE CRITICIZING HIM DURING SENATE INVESTIGATIONS OVER CONSTRUCTION OF C-5. Oh well, contradicting yourself must be par for the course in local politics. Just as long as she doesn't start saying that she can see Russia from her house.
5. EO 839 SETTING PRICE CAP ON GAS LIFTED. It's time like these that I wish I still owned a bicycle.
6. JINKEE PACQUIAO CRIES DURING PACMAN'S THANKSGIVING MASS OVER RUMORS LINKING HUSBAND TO KRISTA RANILLO BUT SAYS SHE WAS ONLY "TOUCHED" BY PRIEST'S HOMILY. Does this mean there won't be a round two of tinola made with Knorr Chicken Cubes?
7. NEW MOON IS HIGHEST-GROSSING MOVIE ON OPENING DAY, BEATING DARK KNIGHT'S RECORD. Never underestimate the box office power of tweeners who feel that only they can understand brooding vampires and cougars ready to pounce on Taylor Lautner.
8. OPRAH WINFREY ANNOUNCES END OF DAILY TALK SHOW IN SEPTEMBER 2011. I'm sure Tom Cruise will find other talk-show couches to jump on…but who'll tell us what to read now?
9. JOHNNY DEPP JOINS GEORGE CLOONEY AND BRAD PITT AS TWO-TIME PEOPLE MAGAZINE "SEXIEST MAN ALIVE." Playing those androgynous pirates with questionable hygiene can sure get you noticed at singles bars.
10. 62-YEAR-OLD HILLARY CLINTON TELLS U.S. VOGUE THAT 42-YEAR-OLD BRITISH FOREIGN MINISTER DAVID MILIBAND IS "VITAL, VIBRANT" AND "SO YOUNG!"MILLIBAND CALLS CLINTON "DELIGHTFUL" AND "A TEASE." When Clinton and Miliband vowed to renew and strengthen the "special relationship" between the U.S. and UK, I'm not sure this is what they meant.