Comelec set to proclaim 10 winning party-list groups on Friday
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) will proclaim at least 10 of the winning party-list organizations on Friday, Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez told GMANews.TV in an interview.
Jimenez said that the poll body en banc–sitting as the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC)–aims to proclaim at least 10 of the party-list winners by the end of the week.
According to the Comelec tally of party-list votes posted on GMANews.TV, the ten leading party-list organizations are:
1. Ako Bicol Political Party – 1,522,986 votes
2. Coalition of Associations of Senior Citizens in the Philippines – 1,292,182 votes
3. Buhay Hayaan Yumabong Party-list – 1,249,555 votes
4. Akbayan Citizen's Action Party – 1,058,691 votes
5. Gabriela Women's Party – 1,001,421 votes
6. Cooperative Natcco Network Party – 943,529 votes
7. 1st Consumers Alliance for Rural Energy (1-CARE) – 768,829 votes
8. ABONO – 766,615 votes
9. Bayan Muna – 746,019 votes
10. An Waray – 711,631 votes
GMAnews.TV went on cite The Party-list System Act (Republic Act 7941) defines the party-list system as "a mechanism of proportional representation" in the election of representatives to the House of Representatives. Thus, "party-list organizations shall be ranked from highest to lowest based on the number of votes they (garner) during the elections."
Those who receive at least two percent of the total votes cast for the party-list system shall be entitled to one congressional seat. Meanwhile, those who receive more than two percent of the votes shall be entitled to additional seats in proportion to their total number of votes. However, each party-list organization shall not be awarded more than three seats in Congress.