U.S. Ambassador Harry Thomas Jr. says sorry for "sex tourism" comment
The report pointed out that Thomas sparked a furor last month when he said, "Forty percent of foreign men who come to the Philippines, including from the US, come for sex tourism." Thomas had likewise said that he wasn’t going to apologize for making the statement, even as lawmakers called for him to explain how and where he got the figures.
In any case, the Department of Foreign Affairs revealed that Thomas sent his apology via a text message to DFA Secretary Albert del Rosario on Friday, October 7. In it, Thomas reportedly said, "I am sending you a response expressing regret for my comments. I should not have used the 40 percent statistic without the ability to back it up."
For more on this story, log on to Interaksyon.com.