476 cases of firecracker-related injuries logged by DOH; P15 million spent by government to treat "firecracker victims"

Philstar.com reports that-as of 6 a.m. on January 1-there were 476 cases of firecracker-related injuries recorded by the Department of Health (DOH). The number was a 13-percent decline from last year’s 546 cases.

Philstar.com reports that-as of 6 a.m. on January 1-there were 476 cases of firecracker-related injuries recorded by the Department of Health (DOH). The number marks a 13-percent decline from last year’s 546 cases.

 

The report quoted DOH Secretary Enrique Ona, who said, "But I am not happy with the 13 percent rate because we were hoping it would be much lower and also because of the fact that we still recorded 18 cases of stray bullet incidents."

 

Ona further pointed out that "treatment for those who suffered firecracker-related injuries cost the national and local governments roughly P15 million." He explained: "This is only the cost of medical treatment, not to mention the economic impact on those who lost fingers and limbs."

 

Philstar.com said that "based on reports of 50 government hospitals nationwide, a majority of the cases recorded, or 66 percent, came from the Metro Manila, followed Calabarzon and the Ilocos Region." Ona also added that "victims aged 10 and younger made up 37 percent of the total cases."

 

For more on this story, log on to Philstar.com.

Tell us your #feels!

Win
Yum
LOL
WTF
0
Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about

Comments

Latest Stories

Load More Stories

SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates right in your inbox!