Shortlist of nominees for new Chief Justice released by Judicial and Bar Council
InterAksyon.com reports that on Monday, August 13, the Judicial and Bar Council announced the names of the shortlisted Chief Justice candidates.
InterAksyon.com reports that on Monday, August 13, the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) announced the names of the shortlisted Chief Justice candidates. The list was then submitted to President Noynoy Aquino. Below is the roster of nominees and their corresponding votes:
- SC Associate Justice Roberto A. Abad - 7 votes
- SC Associate Justice Arturo D. Brion - 6 votes
- Acting Chief Justice Antonio T. Carpio - 6 votes
- Solicitor-General Francis H. Jardeleza - 6 votes
- SC Associate Justice Maria Lourdes A. Sereno - 6 votes
- Former Executive Secretary Ronaldo B. Zamora - 6 votes
- SC Associate Justice Teresita Leonardo-de Castro - 5 votes
- Former Ateneo Law Dean Cesar Villanueva - 5 votes
The report noted that President Aquino "has until the last week of August to choose from the shortlist, in compliance with the Constitutional provision that a new Chief Justice be named 90 days after the post becomes vacant."
For more on this story, log on to InterAksyon.com.