Hong Kong journalists get kicked out of APEC forum for shouting at P-Noy
They questioned Aquino about the 2010 Manila bus hostage tragedy that left eight Hong Kong people dead.
Agence France-Press (via ABS-CBNNews.com) reports that on Monday, October 7 that Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum hosts Indonesia "denied stifling press freedom after withdrawing the credentials of several Hong Kong journalists for shouting questions at the Philippine leader, insisting that they had posed a security threat."
The report noted: "Despite protests from Hong Kong’s main journalist group, President Benigno Aquino’s spokesman also said the journalists had crossed the line by aggressively questioning him about a hostage siege in Manila that left eight Hong Kong people dead in 2010."
The report went on to quote Gatot Dewa Broto, the Indonesian communications ministry official who is in charge of the APEC media centre in Bali, who said, "We deemed it improper for media to act that way, as they didn’t talk normally but they were very demonstrative, like they were protesting. So we did this due to security concerns."
The report revealed that "the press badges of four Hong Kong journalists had been deactivated." They are free to remain in Bali, but they can no longer access the APEC venues.
For more on this story, log on to ABS-CBNNews.com.