Quotes of the Week: Pinoy Big Brother accused of exploiting women, two privilege speeches + more
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) This week, we had two privilege speeches on the Senate floor. The Internet went crazy with "#BongPanes" jokes, but really, nobody could outdo the 30-minute presentations that our elected public officials gave. Oh well, that’s what you get for voting for action stars.
That and more in the most quotable Quotes of the Week so far!
1. "PBB crossed the line." - Senator Pia Cayetano, on the nude art challenge in Pinoy Big Brother: All In.
Senator Pia Cayetano echoed the Philippine Commission on Women’s stance on the matter, "PCW sees nothing wrong with women posing nude for art but it should be a woman’s free choice to do so. [The episode] showed the broadcast media's coldhearted perpetuation of exploitation of women on national TV."
2. "I’m prepared. Even if I’ll die in my cell, it’s okay. At my age, I’ve gone through life already." -Senator Juan Ponce Enrile, on going to jail.
Appealing to the emotions. Good tactic.
3. "Sana huminto na rin yung attempts na siraan ako, lalo na yung pagyuyurak ng aking dignidad bilang babae." - DOJ Secretary Leila De Lima, post-confirmation response in reference to allegations made by Sandra Cam about some steamy affair-with sex video!
For the record, Leila De Lima has a quote that goes with that too: "It’s a fake."
4. "’Pag nabanggit ka, tapos ka. Hanggang sa kaapo-apuhan mo, wasak na." Senator Bong Revilla, from the Salamat Kaibigan privilege speech.
5. "Silence is better than BS." - Kris Aquino, after Senator Bong Revilla’s Salamat Kaibigan privilege speech.
Sweet, sweet irony.
6. "Nakakabigla namang masabing Garci in disguise tayo. Hindi ko naman kaibigan si Garci nung 2004. Hindi ko naman kakampi nung 2004." COMELEC Chairman Sixto Brillantes, Jr., on Senator Alan Peter Cayetano’s accusations that he is Garci in sheep’s skin. Cayetano quickly retorted with, "To tell you frankly, and in your face, you’re worst than Garci."
Blah, blah. The statute of limitations for filing a case against this has lapsed. You’re still talking.
7. "We must send a message around the world that there is no disgrace in being a survivor of sexual violence, that the shame is on the aggressor." - Angelina Jolie, during the first annual Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict.
You go, Maleficent. Go after real beasties.
8. "Sa bibihira at limitadong pagkakataon, a-absent po ako sa Senado. Pero sandali lang po ito at babalik din ako." - Senator Jinggoy Estrada, during his privilege speech in light of his "impending" arrest.
Your father was convicted of plunder and people still love him. We don’t doubt the accuracy of your statement, sir.
9. "My brain developed a glitch so I could not understand anything. People were talking to me, but my vocabulary had vanished. When friends said "Hello" at the hospital, I could only reply like a cartoon pirate: "Arr."" - Jessica Zafra, on the health scare she had on May 26.
Her brain could swell and kill her. That’s not a joke (or joking matter).
10. "Hindi lang ako isang starlet at balang araw makikilala din ako bilang isang aktres." - Krista Miller, on not being refered to as an actress.
You should’ve said something when people called you worse things in the heat of that alleged extra-marital affair. "Starlet" is the least of your worries, sweetie.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.