Quotes of the Week: Senator Grace Poe defends our intelligence, Senator Trillanes defends the Senate’s intelligence + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Still talking about DAP? Well, not talking about it would seem more wrong...and hey, look, don’t you feel a little happy that Senator Poe is creating some buzz for the FOI bill? Talking is good. When you say something substantial, you influence people. When you say something that is unfounded and baseless...you give other people the chance to make jokes. And jokes make people laugh (sometimes). Laughing is great.
Other people beg to differ...but you go, Grace Poe!
2. "Six years of inefficient governance made Manila the gates of hell." - President Mayor Joseph "Erap" Estrada, still living in 2013 and still taking jabs at the city’s former mayor
The important thing is that the city has free Wi-Fi now.
3. "Minsan, ang pamilya mo rin ang nagsasawa na sa angst mo, 'di ba? So, dapat may ibang sounding board." - Kris Aquino, on Derek Ramsay
Here we were, thinking that anyone with a television was automatically your sounding board. Our mistake, ma’am.
4. "We senators are beneficiaries of the 10-year program, are you saying we are intellectually inferior?" - Senator Antonio Trillanes, on the K+12 program
Please don’t make yourself vulnerable to jokes and insults, sir. Also, that’s a fallacy, sir.
5. "I am bothered by [the] accusation that says that there was P10 billion DAP for Tarlac alone and it was given to a favorite contractor without public bidding. I think that is almost prima facie proof of corruption." - Senator Sergio Osmeña III, on P-Noy and the DAP
Concrete proof can’t even put people in jail. Almost is never enough, said Ariana Grande.
6. "Umasa ho ang ating mga kababayan na kahit anong putik ang ibato ho sa aming pamilya, basta ho kami patuloy lang sa mga trabaho na binigay sa amin." - Senator Nancy Binay, on the plunder complaint filed against her father, Vice President Jejomar Binay
There is a joke here.
7. "They don't have an unfettered authority. What is that? Dictatorship?" - BIR Commissioner Kim Henares, on the Supreme Court’s "Ma’am Arlene" and their refusal to submit their SALNs
What if we just remove everyone and start from scratch?
8. "Wala kaming pinag-iiringan ni Pangulo. Mayroong mga pagkakataon na hindi kami nagkakapareho ng naiisip, pero hindi ho yan ang magiging dahilan para magbago ho ang aming magandang samahan." Vice President Binay, on President Aquino
Bromance. (Second punchline: It can’t compare to the Aquino-Abad tandem.)
9. "Mr. Prime Minister, I'm looking into your eyes, and I don't think you have a soul." US Vice President Joe Biden to Russian President Vladimir Putin
It is merely an observation and concurring with it would be easy.
10. "We're all capable of of things that are breathtakingly cruel." - Australian novelist Liane Moriarty, on abuse and other forms of violence
This week’s headlines are abysmal. It’s just in everyone’s best interest to keep in mind that being nice or nicer to people is important.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.