Quotes of the Week: Senator Nancy Binay is not a model, our President is only human + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) This week started with some waterworks from the President and his sisters during his State of the Nation Address and ended with Orlando Bloom allegedly punching Justin Bieber. The DAP is still dominating the headlines, but Senator Nancy Binay did her best to get the public’s attention. She got what she wanted.
1. "We’re not models." - Senator Nancy Binay, on the red carpet walk for the State of the Nation Address.
We mean no disrespect ma’am, but no one wrestled you into that dress and threatened to harm you if you didn’t walk down the red carpet. Some people, as pointed out by the Philippine Daily Inquirer, opted to stay out of the spotlight. You can do that. (As of this writing, Senator Binay is still talking about it.)
2. "I don’t think there is anything wrong with what I said. Katulad ng sinabi ko, hindi lahat ng nagpoprotesta ay totoong nag-aaklas. ’Yung iba naman ay nabayaran ng pambili ng gatas, which is so true." - Comedian Vice Ganda, on his tweet about paid protesters.
Well, at least they do what they’re paid to do. Unlike some people.
3. "It is the prerogative of the Congress to review the law and make amendments to the law if policies are being misunderstood or if the definition is unclear." - Senator Franklin Drilon, on how DAP can be legal.
Me right. You wrong. Raaa.
4. "Naniniwala ako na kung paano ako pinalaki ng mga magulang ko, ’yon ’yung maganda sa akin. Maganda sa akin ’yong pagmamahal ko sa Diyos, pagmamahal ko sa pamilya ko, and the people who supported me at naniniwala sa akin ever since nagsimula ako sa industriya." - Singer Sarah Geronimo, on what makes her beautiful.
We’re trying really hard not to sing a One Direction song right now.
5. "There’ll be no flirting, that’s for sure. It’s not what this Doctor’s concerned with." - the new Doctor in British series Doctor Who, Petel Capaldi, on his would-be relationship with Clara (played by Jenna Coleman).
6. "What’s up, bitch?" - Singer Justin Bieber, to Orlando Bloom (allegedly).
7. "It would be a terrible shame if a landmark decision such as [the one] on DAP can bring progress to a grinding halt after we've achieved so much." - Budget Secretary Butch Abad, on the Supreme Court ruling.
And look at how much we’ve achieved!
8. "Work with her is so light and refreshing. I enjoy. I’m inspired." - Tom Rodriguez, on Carla Abellana.
What about Den? TomDen5ever.
9. "[S]how him who we truly are: the resilience of Filipinos, [full of] faith, compassion, and bottomless hope." - Cardinal Tagle, on Pope Francis’ apostolic visit to the Philippines.
Bottomless is a funny word.
10. "Tao lang po." - President Benigno Aquino III, during his State of the Nation Address on July 28.
Nasasaktan. And more importantly: nagkakamali. (More: 10 Eyebrow-raising Quotes From the President’s Speech.)
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.