Quotes of the Week: Jovito Palparan commends his captors, Daniel Radcliffe critiques Harry performance + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) It’s a week of mourning for fans of comedian Robin Williams but it’s the beginning of retribution for fans of justice. Former Major General Jovito Palparan has been captured-and we want to believe that this has nothing to do with the left and right posturing of aspiring presidents.
1. "Ang gagaling n’yo, naisahan n’yo ako." - Former Major General Jovito Palparan, on his capture early Tuesday morning.
You want safety and a fair trial? A butcher for a butcher seems fair.
2. "Bakit ang McDo may chicken?" Manila City Mayor Joseph "Erap" Estrada, on accusations that the truck ban is somehow causing the #ChickenSad phenomenon.
We’re still stuck on the awesome hashtag.
3. "My acting is very one-note and I can see I got complacent and what I was trying to do just didn’t come across." - Actor Daniel Radcliffe, on his performance as Harry Potter.
As a bonus quote, he also said, "It’s more important for me to be very critical because I’ve grown up in an atmosphere where everyone is always wanting to be nice to me and say what I’m doing is great." (Stay awesome, Harry...er, Daniel!)
4. "I request my archbishops and bishops in the Philippines to offer all our Masses on August 18 as Votive Mass for Peace and Reconciliation in Iraq." - Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines president and Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas.
Can we throw in Israel and Palestine, too?
5. "Kulang pa ’yon. Dapat sinipa [niya]. Sa Davao City, ikarga ko siya [the drug suspect] ng barko, baroto tapos ihulog ko siya Davao Gulf. Ang isda dyan ngayon wala nang pagkain e." - Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, on Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista’s slapping incident with a suspected drug lord.
Davao seems like such a fun city.
6. "I am honored to have received the offer, but given existing commitments - including eight ongoing cases - unfortunately, I could not accept this role." - British-Lebanese lawyer Amal Alamuddin, fianceé to actor George Clooney, on being offered to investigate possible human rights violations in Gaza by a UN commission.
Ladies, this should serve as an inspiration. The preferred method of changing a man’s heart about settling down and getting married is being a badass, intelligent, independent, confident human being...because even if this doesn’t improve your chances of being in a relationship, it doesn’t hurt to be a badass, intelligent, independent, confident human being.
7. "Advisory: We are currently undergoing necessary intervention for the technical problem encountered. We apologize for the inconvenience TY." - The "blasé" tweet that the MRT management posted after a train smashed against a barrier, injuring nearly 40 people.
In the spirit of tit-for-tat, we respond to your eloquent advisory with: "Dafuq?"
8. "Ito kaya ang itsura ko after four kids?" - Actress Anne Curtis, on wearing a fat suit to portray Zoe Tuazon in upcoming film The Gifted.
Not if science can help it.
9. "Kasi kung ’yong magiging presidente natin ay magnanakaw pala kailangan malaman ng taong bayan ’yon." - Senator Antonio "Sonny" Trillanes IV, on allegations of corruption against Vice President Binay.
This statement is strange. Have we all conceded to the fact that Binay is the next president? Can’t we vote on this first?
10. "I love you. I’ll miss you. I’ll try to keep looking up." - Zelda Williams’ message to her father, Robin Williams.
A life spent making other people happy is a life spent well. If heaven exists, we hope he can now see exactly how many lives he touched.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.