Quotes of the Week: Daang matuwid, overpriced buildings (and cakes) + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Hipon was the word of the week, with Ramon Bautista sending the Internet buzzing with his persona non grata status in Davao City. A little harsh, perphaps, considering that people who have said and done worse take vacations anywhere and everywhere they please. On Wednesday, Atty. Renato Bondal appeared in front of a senate committee to discuss his allegations that the Binays are behind some chop-chop (that’s what he said) incidents in Makati.
1. "Hindi ko na alam talaga kung ano ang daang matuwid." - Former president Fidel V. Ramos, on the "mixed signals" that the Palace is sending about P-Noy’s plans for 2016.
Nobody knows what daang matuwid really means.
2. "Sa ranggo ng ating dating Major General Jovito Palparan, ay may konti naman tayong respeto." - Atty. Narzal Mallares, the lawyer of Jovito Palparan, on the kind of jail that his client deserves.
This may be off tangent, but a lot of people outside of prison deserve better living conditions.
3. "May I ask the witness to stick to the facts. This is already a politically-charged hearing, let's admit it. While I understand your enthusiasm, let's suppress the descriptive politically charged language." - Senator Franklin Drilon, reprimanding Atty. Renato Bondal on his vocabulary during the senate hearing regarding the Binays’ alleged overpicing of certain projects in Makati.
Class over sass. It makes people forget you’re posturing (for a while).
4. "Pansilaw ito sa lahat ng mga matatanda sa buong bansa, birthday cakes for senior citizens. Sa katunayan, wala kahit ni isang anino sa Makati ang nakakaalam kung magkakano ito." - Atty. Renato Bondal, on the free cakes in Makati.
Sorry, what? We saw cake and were mesmerized for a...bit...oh.
5. "Wala pong overpricing na nangyayari dito." - Makati Mayor Jun Jun Binay, during the senate hearing on Wednesday.
We totally take your word for it.
6. "Wikipedia [has] editable source[s] so this is not really a reliable source of information." - Senator JV Ejercito, during the senate hearing after Atty. Renato Bondal quoted Wikipedia entries.
Can’t argue with that. *cough*asenatorplagiarisedablogger*cough*
7. "There are only two things that are true: First, that Mary Christine Jolly and I were married in 2002, a marriage that I was then told was not valid, for various reasons. Second, that I have an 11-year old son named Austin Gabriel Ramsay." - Actor Derek Ramsay
What a shocker.
8. "I owe what I am today to the Aquino family." - Vice President Jejomar Binay, explaining why he will never fight P-Noy.
Get a room, you guys. Oh wait, you got a palace. Smooth.
9. "’Yung incident na tumitirik ’yung train, it’s common. There’s hundreds of parts that could go wrong (sic). The cause of that was probably an intermittent fluctuation of power or some disruption in the train’s circuitry or power system." - Engineer Alan Ortencio, spokesperson for Global APT Joint Venture (MRT’s maintenance contractor), on the accident that happened on August 13.
Stalling, common. Crashing into barriers? Not common.
10. "Mario Maurer tweeted at the same time I did, and he immediately gets 600 plus retweets, and all he said was ’good afternoon po.’" - Project NOAH director Dr. Mahar Lagmay, on disseminating information.
Right in the feels. It’s actually a great idea to follow @nababaha.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.