Quotes of the Week: Jennifer Lawrence speaks about privacy, VP Binay denies alleged private property + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Purisima this, Binay that, yet another part of the MRT broke, and someone’s pregnant again. It’s hard to keep track of important issues like the power crisis and "emergency powers" when we’re distracted by reports of concubinage and kissing scenes. Plus, what is up with Richard Gomez and Gabriella?
Catch up on this week’s news in quotes!
1. "It's my body, and it should be my choice, and the fact that it is not my choice is absolutely disgusting." - Jennifer Lawrence, on the private photos that were hacked and leaked to the public.
And that’s how you become a better feminist icon than the fictional character you’re portraying in movies.
2. "Alam niyo rin po si Vice President Binay nanggaling din sa hirap. Kapag siya ay naupo, maiintindihan niya ang kalagayan ng karamihan ng ating kababayan. Kaya ako ay naniniwala ka kapag siya ay naupo, malaki ang maitutulong niya." - Sarangani Representative Manny Pacquiao, on Vice President Jejomar Binay’s pleasing personality.
"Who is he going to help?" is the billion-peso question.
3. "I hope we can all help in convincing Representative Pacquiao-because of his experience, his being poor, and the help he extended to the poor will continue." - Vice President Jejomar Binay, on wanting Sarangani Representative Manny Pacquiao to run as a senator under his ticket.
Pacquiao’s being poor will continue?
4. "How I wish we have a hacienda like that but it really isn't ours." - Senator Nancy Binay, on Hacienda Binay.
We want to know who really owns it because we want to find out if we can visit the "British Palace Garden" maze. Looks nice. Real nice.
5. "That is not small. That is the design I see in Panglao, Boracay. [N]o way [it’s P17,000]. One pole there will cost P17,000. One pole! Those are solid, probably apitong or molave." - Senator Serge Osmeña, on Purisima’s ordinary house.
Compared to Hacienda Binay, this actually looks pretty tame. Maybe it is ordinary if you compare it with...um, other properties procured in the same purported manner.
6. "Mataas ang pangarap ng ating Mayora dahil ang feeling yata ay magiging First Lady na siya ng Pilipinas sa darating na halalan." - Former Makati City Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado, on the Binay matriarch.
You have to wonder what it is that Binay did to make someone this mad.
7. "It cannot be denied that the respondents are guilty of concubinage. I hereby execute this complaint-affidavit to attest to the truthfulness and correctness of the foregoing facts and for the purpose of charging the respondents with concubinage." - Mary Christine Jolly, on...Angelica Panganiban? Whoa, what?
This is putting all of the fictional mistress/bigamy telenovelas and movies to shame. Ladies, stay away from married men. Married men, stay away from marriage if you can’t keep it in your pants.
8. "This group wants to interfere with the creative processes, with art and entertainment. They should just continue being street parliamentarians or go back to the mountains. Huwag na kayong makialam sa fashion, art and entertainment. Peace!" - Richard Gomez, adding more heat to the bubbling feud between him and women’s group Gabriela.
Easy there, buddy. They’re going to start hitting you with theories about the evils of capitalism if you start talking mountains.
9. "[D]ati ko pang pangarap na makatrabaho si John Lloyd. Pumasok ako sa showbiz para makatrabaho siya." - Jessy Mendiola, on working with John Lloyd Cruz in The Trial.
We also want to work with John Lloyd...or work for John Lloyd. Basically, we just want to be near John Lloyd.
10. "It’s just that [the kissing scene] was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life until this day. Because, you know, the Filipino film industry is different from how they do [it] over there." - Anne Curtis, on her movie Blood Ransom and liplocking with her co-star.
Of course the Filipino film industry is different from how they do kissing scenes there. What strange things to compare.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.