Quotable Quotes from Tony Tiu’s Senate Appearance
It’s five hours long. We summarized everything in 15 quotes.
(SPOT.ph) The hearing went on for more than five hours and although the official title is "Senate Hearing on Makati City Hall Building 2," the hot topic on Wednesday, October 22, was the ownership of a 350-hectare "farm" in Rosario, Batangas. Several media outfits tagged it as a "hacienda" owned by the Binay family, but a businessman named Antonio Tiu (pronounced [Ti-yu]) went public and claimed that the land is his. Or is it?
One of the eight "owners" of the massive property came forward on Tuesday, saying that she sold her land to Vice President Jejomar Binay while he was still the mayor of Makati. The opening slide to Antonio Tiu’s presentation read, "So the truth may be known." We’re still uncertain what that is...but we did get an earful of quotes with a lot of zing.
Spoilers: It ends with Senator Cayetano and Atty. JV Bautista trading barbs.
Antonio Tiu introduces himself, shares his background, and once again declares that he owns the farm in Rosario.
1. "Nagsimula talaga ho kami sa wala. Hindi lang sa wala, may kaunti pa pong utang." - Businessman Antonio "Tony" Tiu, introducing himself and his family history.
2. "You’re so prepared with this PowerPoint [presentation] but you conveniently forgot the documents, right?" - Senator Antonio "Sonny" Trillanes IV, on the papers detailing the sale of the land in Batangas.
3. "’Yan na yun? ’Yan na yung explanation mo? ’Yan na yun?" - Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III, after Tony Tiu reiterated that he is a legitimate businessman and that he is in the process of finalizing the acquisition of the farm in Batangas.
4. "Simple lang po ako. Ako po ay negosyante. Pag-aari ko yung Greenergy. Pag-aari ng Greenergy ang Sunchamp. Pag-aari po ng Sunchamp ang Rosario [farm]." - Tony Tiu, refuting the tag that he is a Binay dummy.
Businessman Antonio "Tony" Tiu, explaining that he doesn’t have the papers yet as he is acquiring the controversial property "by installment"
Senator Antonio "Sonny" Trillanes IV, trying to clarify what "ownership" means
Senators Pimentel and Trillanes try to find a Transfer Certificate of Title. After Tiu is unable to do so, the two conclude that he is not the actual owner of the property.
5. "Hindi ka pa owner? Pero sa mga interview mo, you are very sure, [saying,] "Ako po ang may-ari ng 145 hectares." May kaibahan sa mga statement mo ngayon at yesterday." - Senator Sonny Trillanes, trying to make sense of Tony Tiu’s statements.
6. "Teka muna, ayusin mo muna ang kwento mo. Nagugulahan ka [yata] kung anong personality ang humaharap sa amin ngayon." - Senator Sonny Trillanes, on Tony Tiu’s conflicting statements on whether or not his "owns" the property.
7. "Your honor, mayroon pong pagkakaiba ang ownership ng land sa ownership ng plantation." - Tony Tiu, defending his stand on "owning" the property being disputed.
8. "Categorically, during your past interviews, you said you owned the hacienda Binay and everything on it. Walang qualifications. Ngayon, hinahanapan ka ng TCT-huwag kang umiling, dahil [narinig ng] lahat, sinabi mo na hindi [pa ikaw] ang may-ari." - Senator Sonny Trillanes, picking on the semantics of "ownership."
9. "Sa mata namin, hindi pa ikaw ang may-ari ngayon. So why are you here, Mr. Tiu?" - Senator Koko Pimentel, on the seemingly unnecessary banter that just happened.
Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel, not quite impressed with Tony Tiu’s statements
Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, referring to himself in the third person from time to time
Senator Cayetano clarifies a few statements made by Tiu and a few of Vice President Jejomar Binay’s allies, particularly Oplan Stop Nognog 2016 and crab mentality.
10. "Last time kong narinig ang salitang nognog, high school pa ako." - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on Oplan Stop Nognog 2016.
11. "Wala pong gagawa ng oplan na halatang halata kung sino ang tinutukoy. Kaya gumawa ng oplan, para nakatago." - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on Oplan Stop Nognog 2016.
12. "In this hearing, you can call me anything and you can answer questions. Ang request ko lang, panindigan natin. Ibig sabihin, kung sasabihin mong talangka yung mga senador, at the end of the hearing, tingnan natin kung sino ang talangka." - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on Tony Tiu’s statements that the Philippine political landscape is littered with crabs.
13. "Sino ang humihila pababa sa mga Pilipino? Yung mga senador na nag-eexpose ng corruption at nag-iimbestiga ng corruption o yung mga negosyante at mga pulitiko na nagkokontsaba para magkaroon ng corruption?" - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on crabs and corruption.
14. "We’re not here to grill you or demolish you. We’re here to find out kung ano ba ang totoo." - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on Tony Tiu’s feelings of frustration about being dragged into a scandal.
15. "So you don’t care if our officials are corrupt, as long as you’re making money as a businessman?" - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on Tony Tiu’s statement that it is not his "job" to check if he is doing business with a dummy corporation.
Screencaps from the live coverage by The Philippine Star.