Quotes of the Week: Cardinal Tagle calls for peace, Tony Tiu gives the senate a piece of his mind + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Two senate hearings in one day? That can’t be good. Some good news first: Condé Nast readers gave the highest honor to Palawan in the magazine’s list of Top 30 Islands of the World. There was also that whole business of people freaking out about Renée Zellweger’s new look. Plus: a three-day sale at SM care of the National University’s stellar performance at the UAAP. The week wasn’t that bad.
Here’s more of the nutty things that happened this week, in quotes.
1. "Let us be calm and let us not stereotype each other." - Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle, on the confusing tango that the Vatican had with the LGBT last week.
LGBT mantra: open hearts, open minds.
2. "I'm living a different, happy, more fulfilling life, and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows." - Academy Award-winning actress Renée Zellweger, on the confusion caused by her appearance at ELLE’s Women in Hollywood Awards.
To be fair, people would still be shocked if your face doesn’t change or age...or move.
3. "You know, in general, I don’t attend wakes of people I don’t know. I find it-and I’m speaking for myself-I ’m uncomfortable in trying to condole with people who don’t know me. Parang how can I say that I really sympathize with their loss and have some relevant discussion with them on trying to assuage, ’di ba, their loss at that point in time?" - President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III, on why he won’t attend Jenny Laude’s wake or funeral.
This explains why the President of the Republic of the Philippines visited a mall that was robbed by people with hammers that one time.
4. "Lilinawin ko, wala akong kinalaman sa Oplan na ito at sa kung ano-ano [mang] pinagsasabi ni Vice President Binay." - DILG Secretary Mar Roxas, on Vice President Jejomar Binay’s allegations that he is behind "Oplan Stop Nognog 2016."
Yeah, you don’t look like a man with plan. Wait...that doesn’t sound right.
5. "Manny, please don't get hurt playing basketball. I want the fight to happen." Boxer Chris Algieri, on Manny Pacquiao’s "blooming" basketball career.
Someone’s being cute.
6. "Twerking is not feminism. That’s what I'm referring to. It's not liberating, it's not empowering. It's a sexual thing that you're doing on a stage; it doesn't empower you. That's my feeling about it." - Musician Annie Lennox, on shaking your booty.
Girls, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie says, are taught that they cannot be sexual beings the way boys are. (She’s the woman doing the spoken bit in Beyoncé’s "Flawless.")
7. "The failure to produce the body of Marine Joseph Scott Pemberton before the Olongapo City prosecutor is already an indication that the US is not in good faith, a reflection of the lopsided attitude of the VFA." - Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, commenting on the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) during the senate hearing discussing Jennifer Laude’s murder case.
In case you missed it: He’s detained in a 20-foot (air-conditioned) container van.
8. "There was one song that was force-fed down people’s throats-"You’re Beautiful"-and it became annoying." - James Blunt, apologizing for his hit single.
You’re byu-teh-faaawl. You’re byu-teh-faaawl. (Great, now it’s stuck in our heads. Thanks, James.)
9. "I’d been dreaming of working with Claudine, hindi ito paandar ha. Alam ng Star Cinema ’yan. Three years ago pa yata or two years ko [pa] nire-request sa kanila ang movie with Claudine. So I’m still hoping na sana someday ay matuloy pa rin." - Judy Ann Santos, on her special request to work with Claudine Barretto.
Let’s create a Change.org page and make this happen. It’s not too late.
10. "Simple lang po ako. Ako po ay negosyante. Pag-aari ko yung Greenergy. Pag-aari ng Greenergy ang Sunchamp. Pag-aari po ng Sunchamp ang Rosario [farm]." - Businessman Antonio "Tony" Tiu, on the Sunchamp Agri-Tourism Farm.
We want to be simple, too. (Check out more fun quotes here: Quotable Quotes from Tony Tiu’s Senate Appearance.)
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.