Quotes of the Week: Vice President Binay turns to the Lord, John Lloyd does not have a daughter + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) There was a crazy sale. There was a bomb threat. But worst of all: Today is not a holiday for most people. On the bright side, Jolina Magdangal and Marvin Agustin are back together for a teleserye and we found out that Daniel Radcliffe is really, really, really good at rapping.
The PDAF trials continue quietly and on Thursday, Senator Jinggoy Estrada’s All Saint’s Day furlough was rejected by the Sandiganbayan. Meanwhile, on the Binay side of the news, Elenita Binay posted bail on Tuesday. She’s facing the ghost of a resurrected graft and malversation case.
If you missed all of that, we’ve got you covered. Check out the week’s news in quotes.
1. "Alam niyo po mga kababayan, akala ko magbabago na ang itsura ng ating pulitika, pero hindi po. Ang paninira sa kapwa, sa kanilang pamilya ay tuloy-tuloy, mga pagsisinungaling. Diyos na po ang bahala sa kanila." - Vice President Jejomar Binay, on the never-ending story surrounding the Makati City Hall Building 2 and Rosario, Batangas.
The Vice President is taking such a high road, no one can reach him for a proper comment.
2. "If you participate sa mundo na ’yon, I think dapat hindi ka sensitive, matibay ang loob mo." - Senator Nancy Binay, on the death threats received by Jim Paredes.
See also: Binay hurt by 'thief' tag.
3. "Sabi ko, diyan makikita ng kababayan natin ang pagbabalat-kayo ng taong ito. That is the context but it is expected that the Binay camp will try to twist everything up to make it appear that this is a class war. Of course it’s not. Mas mayaman siya sa akin. I am still the poorest senator." - Senator Antonio "Sonny" Trillanes IV, on using the terms "kulay mahirap" and "asal mahirap."
Only in politics do you ever see anyone wanting to be poor or associated with the poor. Everywhere else, people want to be decidedly not poor.
4. "I'd like to believe na very mature ang pang-unawa ko sa pagkakaroon ng anak." - John Lloyd Cruz, on the rumors that he has a daughter (whom he might have sired when he was 15).
More directly, he thinks it’s not impossible, but the chances of him having a "surprise" child are very slim.
5. "It's destiny. If it's yours, it's yours. If it’s not yours, it's not yours." - Senator Cynthia Villar, answering questions regarding her husband’s plans for 2016.
Politics is a lot like love, apparently. The kids would say: hugot.
6. "What else do they want from me? I am not charged for any crime, it was just a very stupid thing, and I have apologized for it. I can’t see what I can do more." - Marc Sueselbeck, fiancé of murder victim Jenny Laude, on his deportation and being blacklisted.
Justice, so swift you are for...uh, that dude who got shoved (and got honors for it).
7. "When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so." - Pope Francis, explaining that the Big Bang Theory and Evolution are cool with religion.
TIME Magazine killed everyone’s buzz about how progressive this is, but what we’re all really thinking is: We have never, ever pictured the Judeo-Christian God with a literal wand.
8. "I’m just frank and honest sa mga sinasabi ko na galing sa puso. Ang problema ko lang, masama akong magalit and I can’t control it." - Annabelle Rama, on people saying that her fight with daughter Ruffa Guiterrez is a publicity stunt.
Survey says: This is a fact.
9. "Mejorada’s allegations are mere fabrications. He has no direct information and knowledge on the project. All he has are flawed data and wrong assumptions." - Senator Franklin Drilon, on Manuel Mejorada’s graft and plunder complaint against him and several other government officials.
We saw his response coming from light years away.
10. "Sobrang suwerte ko na 18 na years na ako dito. May cutoff din ako. Sinabi ko na after 20 years, sana I can walk away gracefully. Siyempre naman kailangan mabuhay ng mga anak ko." - Kris Aquino, on retirement (again).
Retirement from showbiz is like death in comics.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.