Quotes of the Week: Preparations for the Papal visit, punishment for the Maserati driver + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Remember the PDAF scam? We found updates on that this week-between news on Typhoon ’Hagupit’ and the Department of Health’s fascinating take on pre-marital sex, the youth, and music. We also overheard a petition for harsh sanctions against the Maserati guy who supposedly assaulted an MMDA officer.
Check out the week’s news, in quotes.
1. "Huwag sanang gamitin [ang papal visit] sa personal na interest." - Cardinal Tagle, on the enthusiasm shown by politicians for Pope Francis’ visit.
The tarp industry of the Philippines is surely booming.
2. "Masyado ng malalim ang mga atraso ng mga Aquino sa mga Ejercito." - Disqualified Laguna Governor ER Ejercito, on the COMELEC and Supreme Court ruling against him and why he wants to see P-Noy in jail.
We predict a marvelous poster for this.
3. "Ako ay labis na nalulungkot sa pag-deny ng first division ng Sandiganbayan ng bail sa aking kaibigan at kasama sa Senado na si Senator Bong Revilla. Ako ay naniniwala, hindi dahil kaibigan ko siya o dahil ako ay isa ring akusado dito sa PDAF scam. Ako ay naniniwala na malinis ang konsensya ni Senator Revilla." - Senator Jinggoy Estrada, on the PDAF trials and his friend Senator Bong Revilla.
Don’t stop! Believing! Hold on to that feeling.
4. "I want to send a message not just in this case but to the general public that we will impose a higher penalty if there is injury as a result of road rage." - Second District of Quezon City Representative Winston Castelo, on banning the Maserati owner who allegedly assaulted an MMDA traffic enforcer.
We have a list of people you can impose this ban on. They drive big vehicles, containing a lot of passengers. Ahem, ahem.
5. "We will not be surprised if he says he has documents showing that the VP owns Disneyland." - Vice President Binay's Spokesperson Joey Salgado, on Former Makati City Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado's return from the United States.
But it would be awesome if they ended up turning that controversial property into Disneyland.
6. "And what...it hurts really, it really does hurt and sometimes you just can’t help but cry. I’m sorry I’m getting really emotional because you know I’ve been through so many countries and it’s just so difficult seeing them in this position and you know people are saying you’re Miss World you should save the world, and to be honest, we can’t really save the world as a whole, we’re doing it part by part. We’re not Superman. We’re human too." - 2013 Miss World Megan Young on the hardest part of her role as Miss World
And also super beautiful. Isn’t that a legit superpower?
7. "Stop throwing punches on Instagram and let’s get in the ring! #TBE #TheBestExcuses" - Manny Pacquiao's caption on an Instagram post meant as a comeback for Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s social media attacks on the Filipino champion boxer.
That counterpunch was #TBE, we agree!
8. "I would like to thank all the millions of stupid people in the Philippines because they inspired this book." - Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, on the launch of her new book, Stupid is Forever.
9. "This is not new to me. Mr. Syjuco has a penchant for filing frivolous, malicious, and baseless allegations against me." - Senator Franklin Drilon, on the second plunder case filed against him by Former Iloilo Representative Augusto Syjuco Jr.
It is not new to us either and neither are the words you used to describe the accusations, sir. They sound terribly familiar.
10. "It hit me so hard. I was so traumatized by it that I was like, ’Just keep going.’ Because I just had to get out of there...[But] I don’t want to be defined by it. I’ll be damned if somebody’s gonna say that every creatively intelligent thing that I ever did is all boiled down to one d**khead who did that to me...I’m going to take responsibility for all my pain looking beautiful. All the things that I’ve made out of my strife, I did that." - Lady Gaga, on being raped at 19, which she revealed in an interview with Howard Stern on his radio show.
Whoa! Good on you for choosing to rise above it.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.