Quotes of the Week: Secretary Roxas falls, VP Binay drops + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Oh, Holy...shite. The year’s about to conclude and blunders are still happening. Seems like the season is never good for a certain very public couple. But though Typhoon Ruby did her worst and stayed as long as she possibly can, love seems to be the main theme for December. Bianca Gonzalez is now officially hitched to JC Intal, Marian’s going to be a Dantes soon, Aiza Seguerra is a hubby, and Senator Chiz is staying true to his nickname as he counts the days to February.
We’re spreading equal parts love and lols in this edition of Quotes of the Week.
1. "If I had wings, like what they say of Capiz natives like me, I would have flown to that area." - DILG Secretary Mar Roxas, on why he risked it all and didn’t wear a helmet en route to Dolores.
Capitalizing on the urban legend about aswang in Capiz? Damn, sir. That’s so masa of you to go for evil instead of angels.
2. "Alam mo, hindi naman ito ceasefire because of the season. Naubusan na sila. Naghahanap pa ulit ng kasinungalingan." - Vice President Jejomar Binay, on mainting his lead despite a dip in the ratings and the peaceful stillness of this season.
We’re still waiting on Santa to reveal who’s been naughty and nice.
3. "She's a camp event and a celebrity and that's all and the last thing anybody needs is to make a giant bomb with her that any fool could see coming." - Scott Rudin’s rant about Angelina Jolie, leaked to the public due to a hack attack on Sony.
He also called her an "insane" and "minimally talented spoiled brat" with "a rampaging ego." Nationalist folks from Japan, who want her film Unbroken pulled and banned from theaters, may concur.
4. "Ganda ng girlfriend ko, no?" - Matteo Guidicelli, on Sarah Geronimo and her stint for Disney.
She’s also funny and talented. Her new song "Kilometro" should be on your December playlist.
5. "Sana bigyan kami ng Panginoon n[g anak] talaga dahil ang anak ay blessing talaga. Hindi pwedeng gusto mo, mangyayari na sa ’yo. Kusang ibinibigay sa iyo yan ng Panginoon." - Marian Rivera, on her wish to become a mother-stat!
The Lord does have a history with babies and miracles.
6. "Mas lalo akong nababahala. Kasi ang trabahong ’yan ay hindi biro, ’di ba? Hindi ’yan para sa hindi handa." - Senator Grace Poe, on her improving numbers in the presidential polls.
The ads for her campaign would be so much pun: Let’s go na Poe. Tayo na Poe. Ako, Poe: Ang inyong lingkod.
7. "We are also calling on everyone with medical conditions to bring their respective medicine." - Department of Health, on being prepared for the Papal Visit if you’re on strict medication.
It wouldn’t do you good to see His Holiness...then faint or something worse. (There’s an illegal substance joke here, but we’re keeping it classy.)
8. "Kailangan pa bang mag-comment dun? He files cases left and right without studying it, so I don't think we should pay attention to that." - DBM Secretary Butch Abad, on the malversation of public funds case filed against him by Former Iloilo Representative Augusto Syjuco.
It’s like public officials have this manual, much like in call centers, with a set of responses to raging callers. Or, in this case, critics.
9. "Wala naman akong balak tumakbo na presidente. Hindi ko alam kung bakit inilalagay pa rin ako doon. Ang plano ko maglakad lang, wala munang takbuhan, lakaran lang muna. Lakaran papunta[ng altar]." - Senator Chiz Escudero, on his plans in life.
Stay away. We’re trying to avoid sweets and sugar.
10. "Nagsimula na ang buhay ko." - Aiza Seguerra, on his wedding and life after "I do."
...and just like that, we eat our words. Keep the love coming!
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.