Makati City cancels New Year Countdown, Mayor Binay says funds will be donated to victims of Typhoon Ruby

Climate change shuts down parties

The local government unit of Makati announced on Wednesday (December 10) that there will be no grand celebration along Ayala to welcome 2015. According to a report by GMA News, the money alloted for a free concert and fireworks will instead be used to help other LGUs handle their relief operations.

 

"We hope the residents and visitors of Makati, especially those who were looking forward to the countdown, would understand and support our decision to again forego it this year. So many of our fellow Filipinos are suffering and they need all the help we can give," Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr. said.

 

Last year, the countdown was also cancelled to express sympathy and extend support for the people in Eastern Visayas.

 

For more on this story, log on to GMANetwork.com.

Tell us your #feels!

Win
Yum
LOL
WTF
0
Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about

Comments

Latest Stories

Load More Stories

SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates right in your inbox!